Thread: Internet Explorer acts as a server

palios Guest

Default Internet Explorer acts as a server

I have a Dell inspiron pc running windows vista home premium. Apart from Zone Alarm other security products installed are: AVG antiviurs, Windows defender ,Spybot Search & Destroy, AVG antispyware.I oftern receive a warning message from Zone Alarm saying that "Internet Explorer
    is trying to act as server".
    I have scaned my computer for viruses and spyware. Yet , i receive the above alert from Zone Alerm. Should i allow this?

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Internet Explorer acts as a server

<blockquote><hr>palios wrote:
    I have a Dell inspiron pc running windows vista home premium. Apart from Zone Alarm other security products installed are: AVG antiviurs, Windows defender ,Spybot Search & Destroy, AVG antispyware.I oftern receive a warning message from Zone Alarm saying that "Internet Explorer
    is trying to act as server".
    I have scaned my computer for viruses and spyware. Yet , i receive the above alert from Zone Alerm. Should i allow this?

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:
    7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)

<hr></blockquote>

Internet Explorer acting as a server does not neccessarily mean there is a spyware infection involved.
    When the alerts from the ZA concerning the Internet Explorer appear, what is the IP involved? What are the ports involved?
    Check to see if the IP is either 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0 or both. Either of these are okay and valid addresses - these are strictly internal addresses and neither of these IPs are internet addresses. Both of these are needed for the proper function of the Internet Explorer. Both of these are safe.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

palios Guest

Thanks for your reply. The IP is 0.0.0.0 and the port 49839. In an other forum a user said that you should not allow internet explorer to act as a server.Actually i don't know what is mean to act as a server? Does it mean that Internet explorer will send personal information to a remote computer?

<blockquote><hr>palios wrote:

Thanks for your reply. The IP is 0.0.0.0 and the port 49839. In an other forum a user said that you should not allow internet explorer to act as a server.Actually i don't know what is mean to act as a server? Does it mean that Internet explorer will send personal information to a remote computer?
    <hr></blockquote>
    A server means to allow inbound connections. By no means is the 0.0.0.0 address a threat of any kind - it is another internal address of your PC and is never an external or internet connection. The 127.0.0.1 address is another more common internal address. So yes please allow this for the Internet Explorer. Not a risk.

See http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=18603

Letting the Internet Explorer to be act as a server to the internet is a risk, bit never the 0.0.0.0 or the 127.0.0.1 address. can't really comment on the other users' post, since I have no idea what it really said.

Allowing servers for the internet is the risk - servers for the internet will allow inbound connections and these could be a threat.

Best regards, Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 02-16-2008 12:20 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

palios Guest

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciate it.!

Thank you palios.
    Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information