Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to kill akamai?

Default Re: How to kill akamai?

Shouldn't be too hard to look at the firewall logs and then block the akamai servers in the Zones of the Firewall of the ZA.

Please turn off the Smart Defense Advisor in the ZA, any scanner updaters in the ZA, the check for ZA Updates just set it to manual, disable the SpySite blocker, turn off the Mail Safe. That will do.

Just for your information I do not have a server, I have a home PC and I am not official from ZA. This is a ZA users forum not the ZA official technical support forum. We are all ZA users and there are no paid ZA employees here at this forum.

If you are still not pleased, then immediately uninstall the ZA and stop complaining. By the way, since Windows and Microsoft uses the Akamai servers, you should immediately remove the Windows from your computer and use another operating system instead of Windows. There is no possiblity of Akamia installing something on your Windows.

There are many malware and hackers out in the internet. The leat likely culprits will be approved security software from approved software security companies. If not pleased with the ZA, then immediately uninstall it and live in peace. By the way just how do you know if the other security applications when reporting to their own servers do not spy on you or if the updates are installing something you didn't know about? Please can you tell me how you know the difference?

Best regards, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Best regards.
    oldsod

joell Guest

I don't know did anybody here work with Zone Labs or not, just I know that on official site is link for this forum? So I suppose this is official forum.
    So you are saying if I want to kill akamai.com on my PC I must kill Zone Alarm Internet Security which I payed BTW?
    I allready blocked them, so now I want to move out them from my PC. So I came here to found out way how can I do that, and only what I get are superlatives how Akamai is important and nice company and finally I get way that I must uninstall half of the ZL ISS?
    Why Zone Labs don't warned clients that Akamai will be all over theirs PC's when they BUY and
    install Zone Labs products?

joell Guest

Oldsod, I cannot uninstall ZL ISS becouase I payed him, but when I did that, nobody warned me that third party software will be around my PC, and that piece of the software is software of the company which MONITOR everything.
    So I will be happy if someone offer me my money back and I will go and buy another software for for god sake SECURITY and I will test them also. I don't care about Microsoft, Cisco, Aple or any other company, I want securityu software which will proteect me from guys like Akamai, not software which will gave them licence to collect any data they like on my PC?
    Regards

<blockquote><hr>JoeLL wrote:
    I don't know did anybody here work with Zone Labs or not, just I know that on official site is link for this forum? So I suppose this is official forum.
    So you are saying if I want to kill akamai.com on my PC I must kill Zone Alarm Internet Security which I payed BTW?
    I allready blocked them, so now I want to move out them from my PC. So I came here to found out way how can I do that, and only what I get are superlatives how Akamai is important and nice company and finally I get way that I must uninstall half of the ZL ISS?
    Why Zone Labs don't warned clients that Akamai will be all over theirs PC's when they BUY and
    install Zone Labs products?
    <hr></blockquote>
    This the official Zone Alarm Users forum. It is not the official Zone Alarm Technical Support forum.

There are many Zone Alarm Users forums to found on the internet, but this is the official Zone Alarm users forum.

Your paranoia is too much, Akamai server cannot install anything on your computer, But as previously suggested, consider removing the Windows from your computer and use another operating system, since Microsoft and Windows also both use akamai servers for cached updates and upgrades. And Adobe and Java and many others.
    Since you are very upset with a simple cached server service for your "paid for security application" then uninstalling the ZA and going to another security application should be the cheapest and best peace of mind stratgey and approach.

There is no need to warn potential ZA customers of the use of akamai server. There is no threat or malicious intent involved and the cached servers present no issues for the other 99.9999999999999999999+ per centage of the internet users.

I strongly suggest you present the "akamai is a threat" arguement to the official sites on the internet or the proper authorities and make your claims there and clearly announced.

Best regards,
    Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

If you read the EULA, there is no mention of akamai nor is the akamai a third party software.

Akamia is a server not software!

Nor is there a need to be protected from akamai.

See http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=19153

As to whether your own fears of akamai warrants the loss of the ZA, that is not my concern.
    But uninstalling the ZA and then ceasing the complaints seems to be a logical step for you. does it not?

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_Delivery_Network.

If you do not wish to use the official updates for the ZA, then do not allow access to the cached ZA files which are found on the akamai server or Versign (*.verisign.net) or for that matter from the zonelabs.com or any other cached server(s).

What you do with your PC and security and what you deem as risk, I have no personal concerns. I have my own PC nicely secured and it is safe.

Best regards, Oldsod

ZoneAlarm Anti-spyware version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200802.3315

Message Edited by Oldsod on 02-13-2008 09:45 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Hi!
    sorry but why someone should pay you back for a thread that does not exist?

First you need to demonstrate that Akamai company is installing malicious software in your machine then you can claim ZA a refund.

Demostrating Akamai is installing something malicious is simply impossible because akamai is a provider of a service (e.g. internet line and proxies) and note of any software.

Moreover what you listed cannot be regarded as malicious or a thread to your privacy unless you are generating malicious traffic. In the latter case, ZA is not designed to protect you from generating malicious activity without been tracked.

Cheers,
    Fax

Message Edited by fax on 02-13-2008 04:20 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

kritiker Guest

<blockquote><hr>Oldsod wrote:
    Actually Akamai Technologies is a cached server network for many companies such as Microsoft, Adobe, Google, Symantec, McAfee besides just ZoneLabs.

The ZA will use the akamai for updates and upgrades and will check often with either the zonelabs server or the akamai server.

They have no real access to or control of your PC.

Oldsod
    <hr></blockquote>
    Your posting explains this a lot better than the quote that JoeLL took from the Akamai site!!

I DO wish that companies, including ZoneAlarm and Microsoft, would more clearly tell us which URLs/server farms/servers etc. (as well as what types of cookies etc.) need to be granted what permissions/rights in order for their various services to function. The need to grant access rights to companies like Akamai comes as a surprise to many people who suddenly see what is happening on their computers via ZoneAlarm or even the Firefox add-on NoScript. And Akamai isn't the only such company. Figuring out which ones are legitimate and which ones aren't can take quite a bit of time &amp; effort. More if there is a language barrier involved. Add to that the kind of verbiage in the quote that JoeLL found and its no wonder that people are confused.

It is also apparent that English is not JoeLL's first language and that is contributing to his/her confusion.

You could add versign to the cached servers for the ZA as it does there every blue moon or so.

Yes I agree with you Kritiker. But it is surprising how many "english first language" people do not know how the internet really works and firmly believe everything comes directly from the companies servers. It is impossible for the companies to have enough servers for their needed capacity. Some have no knowledge of backbone servers or root name servers. Some are afraid of their own provider's network servers and never realized they need the provider to get to the internet or for that matter that they are a part of the providers network and not directly facing the interent.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information