Thread: Listening to Port(s)?

roark Guest

Default Listening to Port(s)?

Hello,
    I just got a new pc with Vista and have just installed ZA Free.
    I have noticed in the ZA window after surfing the internet that there were several icons in the top right corner of the ZA window.
    Two have a hand underneath them and when I put the mouse under them the first says,"Server Listenting to TCP Port 139" and the other says"Host Process for Windows Service Listening to Ports UDP 5355, 49202,49203".
    I had used ZA free on my XP computer for a long time and I never noticed anything like this.
    What does this mean and is this a security threat?
    Is there something I should change to prevent this from happening?
    Thank you.
    roark

Default Re: Listening to Port(s)?

Vista is a new and different OS from the XP. MS made some changes and this may well be normal.

Listening is often very normal. It depends what is listening and to where.

When you see this in the ZA again, left click the Start button and open the Run and type in cmd.exe and OK.
    In the command type in netstat -ano and press the Enter key.
    It will show some details.
    Click the little command icon in the upper right corner and select the Edit and then the Select All and repeat and select the Copy. Then save this in a .txt file (paste). Then open the Task Manager's Processes Tab and look at the number under the PID of the netstat and cross reference this to the PID found in the task manager. Add the name of the file to the saved netstat results, so they are properly identified by file name and not just the PID.

Now post the final details. Now we can take a look and figure out what is happening.

Cheers.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

roark Guest

Thanks Oldsod for your reply but I find your answer and what to do very intimidating as I never use commands and as you can probably tell am not anywhere near a computer expert.
    I may be able to pull it off though.
    One question, is there a space in between netstat -ano like you have it below or no space?
    I think I may be able to pull off that part of it but the cross referencing I have no idea about as I never really look at those processes.
    I am sending this from work but hopefully when I am at home and in front of my pc and looking this will all seem clearer.
    I likely will not be able to do this until tomorrow at the earliest though.

If you don't mind me asking an unrelated question:
    I am brand new to Vista and so far I don't like it at all as I loved XP and never really had any trouble with it.
    In doing some research this week on Vista and ways to make it easier and faster I have come across recommendations to turn off indexing & superfetch.
    In all honesty until this week I had never heard of those things but it appears they can be turned off in services.
    I would like to try turning them off as I really don't think I need them but since I would be only turning off and not removing am I right in thinking that there is really no risk as I can always turn back on?

Thanks again for your help.
    roark

Oh yes there is a space between the netstat and the -ano.

Also typing in netstat and a space and help gives some information;
    we are using the netstat [-a] and the [-n] and the [-o] all at the same time. So the netstat command we are using at this time is netstat -ano

With the space between the netstat and the -ano.

After finishing using the command prompt and you want to close the prompt, just type in "exit" (without the quotation marks) in the last line and press the Enter key of the keyboard.

Cheers.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Okay like this see:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\SkyRider>netstat -ano

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State PID
    UDP 127.0.0.1:123 *:* 1024
    UDP 192.168.0.12:123 *:* 1024
    UDP 192.168.0.12:17985 *:* 1088

C:\Documents and Settings\SkyRider>

Now in the Task Manager look for the PID column in the Processes tab (if there is no PID column then open the Processes tab and open the View and Select Columns and then check the box for the PID (Process Identifier) and OK.

Now look for the PID of the netstat and match it in the Task Manager.

In the left column named Image Name look at the corresponding file name.

So looking at mine is

PID 1088 is the vsmon.exe
    PID 1024 is the svchost.exe

Looking further there are the IP and the ports and the protcols involved all listed.

I do not use Vista, but I imagine if not using the usb/card for the extra prefetch files then it can be safely disabled. It maybe the index service is not even running.
    See middle of page and read down at Windows Vista SP1 Service Configurations for extra advice and links.

Cheers.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

roark Guest

Hi Oldsod,
    I may be able to check the information for listening this weekend but after I read your reply to the "Listening to Ports" question below from someone else I wonder if the TCPview program that you recommended would provide me with the same information as the command line netstats
    query?
    Would that program work for getting the necessary information?
    I looked at the link you provided for TCPview and it seems pretty easy to install and use so I was hoping to try that if it would give the necessary info to answer my question.
    Thanks again for your help.
    roark

roark Guest

I meant to reference the "Inexplicable port listening" thread above where you recommended TCPview but I typed in the wrong thread in my prior post.
    Thanks.
    roark

riceorony Guest

Listening and established ports between 127.0.0.xxx are all OK!

This is your computer talking to itself.

The only ones you really must verify are open TCP connections to other foreign addresses using the TCPviewer program given

cheers

Thread Information