Thread: Vista blocking Zone Alarm

nildramco Guest

Default Vista blocking Zone Alarm

My new PC with Vista Home Premium has started showing ZA client in the list of blocked programmes, as 'Not yet classified'.

According to Windows Help one should be able to open the list of blocked programmes and click on the one desired to enable it, but nothing happens.

Despite this I was able to update ZA and complete a virus and spyware scan.

Is anyone able to tell me whether Zonealarm client is just one part of ZA or the entire security suite? I have reverted to using my old PC with XP, being afraid that the PC is unprotected from viruses and spyware until such time as ZA issues a patch.

If anyone is able to give any guidance with this I would be much obliged.

I am using Security Suite v 7.1.248.000

George

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Vista blocking Zone Alarm

Hi!Vista?? You mean Windows Defender?Not yet classified does not mean blocked, it simplyreporting that windows defender spynet has not yet classified it.And yes, its normal. I also see 'not yet classified' but ZASS works perfectly fine.Keep windows defender spynet with the 'basic membership' (default) and you will have no problems.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 03-01-2008 10:17 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

nildramco Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:

Hi!
    Vista?? You mean Windows Defender?
    Not yet classified does not mean blocked, it simply reporting that windows defender spynet has not yet classified it.
    And yes, its normal. I also see 'not yet classified' but ZASS works perfectly fine.

Keep windows defender spynet with the 'basic membership' (default) and you will have no problems.

Cheers,
    Fax

Message Edited by fax on 03-01-2008 10:17 PM
    <hr></blockquote>

Many thanks!
    That is reassuring, although I'm puzzled as to why unclassified items are listed under 'Blocked programmes' and shown near the clock. Still, perhaps one should expect anything from Microsoft.

I believe that I switched off Windows Defender, as it's not good to have two antivirus or antispyware products running at the same time. Unable to confirm, as it cannot be found at present.

But again, thanks for your help.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>nildramco wrote:

That is reassuring, although I'm puzzled as to why unclassified items are listed under 'Blocked programmes' and shown near the clock. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Blocked? Near the clock?Not sure I can follow... What kind of settings have you applied to Windows Defender? Did you changed it from default?
    Check under tools --&gt; quarantined --&gt; Do you have any ZA file under it? If yes, removed it/them.Check under tools --&gt; Options --&gt; Default actions --&gt; Is it set to default action?Check under tools --&gt; Microsoft SpyNet --&gt; Are you on 'basic membership' ? If not, please set it to basic.ZASS 7 for VISTA is designed to work with windows defender at default settings.However if you choose to block unclassified items then you have a problem.Cheers,Fax

nildramco Guest

Yes it's in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen near the clock, may be called the task bar, or something similar. Anyway, it's an icon labelled 'blocked start-up programmes', crossed out, which attracted my attention. I had not seen it before, so probably installed with the recent patches.

I eventually found windows defender and changed spynet to basic membership from the previous opt out. The other settings are as you recommend.

Windows defender says it is protecting the PC from malware, as also does ZA. I'm somewhat dubious about running two live malware programmes simultaneously, espec. as Vista is bloody slow in any case, but will assume you have the experience to know what you are talking about.

George

Hi!very strange, never had any windows defender blocked programs in the system tray.Not sure even if windows defender can behave in this way. May be other users can input into this?There is anywhere written how to unblock the programs?Windows defender is OK to run, but you should be sure that is not blocking any ZA software.Probably better to search for help at MS windows defender website?Did you run a full antivirus scan on your system?Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 03-03-2008 08:29 PM

Thread Information