Thread: Netgear WGR614v7 + ZASS conflicts.

aacarter Guest

Default Netgear WGR614v7 + ZASS conflicts.

Hello ZA Gurus and all:

I just installed a Netgear WGR614v7 to my desktop and I have been running the ZA Security Suite for the past three years.

Its been great in keeping the antivirus, antispam, and antispyware at bay -- one of those apps that are a must-have.

Now I have seen the connection drop a few times until I shut down ZA.

I dug through the NetGear FAQ and solution database and they are suggesting I shutdown the software Firewall.

Then I started to dig around on the ZA forums and found this link:

http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...ssage.id=32436

I am using a wired NIC to the router, and using the wireless for a laptop in the house.

My question is this:

I depend on ZASS for the antivirus, antispam, antispyware, AND the firewall. Can I really depend on the hardware firewall in the netgear box? From what I read in the link above, I can probably let them both (Netgear + ZASS) live in harmony, I just need some configuration help.

I am running 7.0.462.000 ZASS.

Take a look at these settings:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...A-Settings.jpg

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Aaron

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

zaswing Guest

Default Re: Netgear WGR614v7 + ZASS conflicts.

Nice pic!
    I'd put the Home network as Trusted.
    Then recheck if the DHCP IP address is correct.
    If your network, which most likely is as you described, the router and computers, and the network address is 192.168.1.0/subnet, then I can't see how that x.x.102.1 fits in. I'd expect something like 192.168.1.1. Are you getting your IP address from the router? Does it work as coded?

Do this. When you think it's working or not, Start, Run, and type ipconfig /all on a black window. Read off the values and try to match to what you did in ZA for DHCP. I'd be interested in knowing whether you even get a IP address. Post back if still problems.

Of course you can make ZA and the router play well together. The FAQ you read takes the path of least resistance so they don't have to help you, just blame a software firewall. ISP providers do the same

Was your Network address picked up by ZA? If so it should be correct. The only reason I ask is that I was under impression that Netgears' default is 192.168.0.0.

No, you should not depend on a router firewall. It's a fabulous invention on the incoming side (reduces the amount of packets coming into your computer that ZA would have to deal with), but the software firewall such as the one in ZASS watches both directions, as well as the OS and program control.

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 03-06-2008 10:08 PM

Thread Information