Thread: ZA Security Suite & Vista & MS Security Center

byebyebirdie Guest

Default ZA Security Suite & Vista & MS Security Center

I just upgraded from Pro to Security Suite (Vista SP1) and the firewall seems to be working just fine but when I open MS Security Center, it doesn't even see it. It sees Windows and Norton firewalls. Both are reporting "off" status when Windows is actually turned on. There is no recognition of ZoneAlarm at all.

When I turn off Windows firewall, I get the same results.

I still get the usual challenges from ZoneAlarm (which makes me feel comfy) but what concerns me is that crazy old Microsoft doesn't want to recognize ZoneAlarm.

As an aside, I have NAV turned on and ZoneAlarm AV turned off because I tried to do a scan using ZoneAlarm and after three hours, I stopped it. (I did have NAV turned off when I installed ZoneAlarm). Why does it take so long?

Thanks -- ML

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZA Security Suite & Vista & MS Security Center

Hi!
    installing ZA with Norton in the system will cause problems and internal conflicts even if turned OFF.
    I am afraid, you will need to choose which security tool you will need to you use.

To improve ZA scanning speed, just set the priority scanning to HIGH (medium by default). You find this in the advanced options of the antivirus/antispyware tab.

Please note that ZASS AV will decompress on-the-fly all compressed files on your system (e.g. rar, zip, etc.) and check all elements in them. This may slow down considerably the scanning of the system. If you have many of these files better to exclude them (scan targets) in the advanced options of the antivirus/antispyware tab.

If you decide to keep ZA, after uninstalling Norton, run their dedicated removal tool. Norton is not easy to remove from systems.
    http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

byebyebirdie Guest

Thanks!!! I thought just disabling Norton would work (it kinda says so in the step-by-step installation instructions).

I am QUITE familiar with the Norton Removal Tool as those programs have been a pain in my behind for many years.

ByeByePeterNorton.

Thanks again -- ML

byebyebirdie Guest

Sorry. Even after using Norton Removal Tool, uninstalling ZoneAlarm then reinstalling, the same glitch as I explained in my original post is still present. Could it have something to do with Vista SP1?

When I reinstalled a previous backup, which had ZoneAlarm Pro, Windows did recognize ZoneAlarm but when I install the ZA Internet Security Suite, the problem surfaces.

Thanks -- ML

Hi!
    so what VISTA center says exactly? Still mentioning Norton?
    Or just that ZA firewall is turned OFF or ZA antivirus is turned OFF.

Please post exact messages.

Don't worry, probably Norton has messed up with the VISTA Security Center. Next time don't install overlapping tools one over another...
    Your ZA is working and you may need to reset the VISTA center to report correctly the status of ZA.

Sometimes its enough to shutdown ZA (right click on ZA icon in the system tray), wait 2-3 minutes, restart ZA.
    But its important to know which error messages VISTA is giving you.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information