Thread: What does trusting a LAN mean?

spears Guest

Default What does trusting a LAN mean?

- Until yesterday I used a USB router connected to my desktop machine. Everything worked OK.
    - I then installed a wireless router and put a network card in the desktop machine. Generally I could surf OK, but I got 404 from google webmail.
    - I then disabled firewall in router, and now got blank page from google webmail.
    - I added mail.google.com to privacy list and allowed everything through.
    - Discovered posts on forums such as this could not be submitted.
    - I then moved "my network" in ZoneAlarm from internet to trusted. Now google webmail works and can submit posts OK.
    - Is this safe? By "trusting" the "my network" am I also "trusting" everything that it is connected to, regardless of whether it is a threat?

Using ZA Pro 3.

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: What does trusting a LAN mean?

Basically this trusts the DHCP server (router) and allows both incoming and outgoing to the DHCP server.
    Because the PC is on a private network and not on the public internet (internet zone), there is no security risk.

Usual advice:

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Extra help is found at Guru Hoov site for the DNS/DHCP.

Also if the incoming connections from the DNS servers are blocked (when set as internet not trusted), the domain name host lookups can fail or be interrupted.

Best regards.
    Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 03-30-2008 07:07 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information