Thread: Windows Security warning that Firewall turned off

pds_pei Guest

Default Windows Security warning that Firewall turned off

Ever since ZA Security Suite last updated automatically to v. 7.0.470.000, I have been getting warnings from Windows Security Center.
    It recognizes that automatic updates are on.
    And it recognizes that Virus Protection is on (using one from ZA Suite).
    But it reports the Firewall is OFF.
    "ZoneAlarm Security Suite Firewall reports that it is curently turned off."

Ran Norton Security Center which also reports security issues detected on my computer.
    Virus Protection shown as "OK " (recognizes ZA Security Suite Antivirus is on)
    Windows Automatic Updates also shown as "OK".
    But reports ZoneAlarm Security Suite Firewall is turned off. {Of course if offers to protect by either configuring Windows Firewall or with Norton products.)

I ran Symantec Online Security Check (as have done in past), to test vulnerability to online threats, but it would not complete.
    It did recognize my network service provider and listed a URL but it doesn't seem to be valid or won't connect.
    ZA Security Suite continues to provide outgoing alerts.
    Overview page shows "All Systems Active", and reports blocking inbound intrusions.
    Computer is running slower. I ran ZA ZZ Anti-Spyware - reported clear. I also run SpyBot-SD Resident.

Is there a genuine security concern?
    Is ZA Firewall really inactive?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Windows Security warning that Firewall turned off

As long as you know your ZA is working - really working - that's what more important. Since this has been an issue in the past
    - I did a quick search - red box at the top of the page - and found this - you can try this - by Senior JRosenfeld - [minor edits -NM] This works with Windows 2000/ XP.<hr>As far as ZA is concerned, you could try the following to get Windows security center to recognize ZA, which it ought to
    (preferably off line)In ZA, make sure that in Firewall &gt;
    Main -
    tab&gt; Advanced&gt; General settings&gt; 'Disable Windows firewall' &quot;is checked.&quot;
    Then shut down ZA (right click on ZA
    tray icon, click &gt;
    &quot;Shutdown ZoneAlarm.&quot;
    In Windows security center, switch on Windows firewall. Security center should show that Windows firewall is on (click chevron next to firewall to read the message). Restart ZA from start, programs. Check in security center whether it recognizes that ZA has come on (ZA will have switched off the Windows firewall when you restart it - automatically).
    If that does not work, but you are happy not to have security center alert you, in security center, on the left click change the way security center alerts me, then uncheck the box for firewall alert.<hr>Or you can check thru various methods - to turn off 'Windows Firewall' and make sure it's turned off when ZA Suite is active.<hr>Separate note:
    Had you properly un-installed any previous firewall and/or anti-virus?? = this needs to be done - Click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154
    . Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed security software, which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZA firewall product. This is an
    important step to follow.
    If you had just used the regular Add/ Remove method, you can still use the Norton Removal Tool - to clean up any 'extra files' not removed thru regular methods; it does help make a difference. Please use the Removal Tool.<hr>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<hr>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 3-31-08 - Let's Groove - Earth, Wind &amp; Fire

pds_pei Guest

Default Re: Windows Security warning that Firewall turned off

I followed your instructions this morning.
    Your advice and instructions corrected the problem.
    Windows Security Center now recognizes that Firewall and Virus Protection are provided by ZA Security Suite.
    I have been running ZA and ZASS for some time, but never encountered this before when updating.
    I guess I was just lucky.
    I don't have any other firewalls or AV programs installed or active simultaneously.
    I AM running Spybot-SD Resident.
    Guess you can say I have a &quot;belt &amp; suspenders&quot; attitude.
    Thanks again.

Thread Information