Thread: ZoneAlarm Checkup

jerryjupiter Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Checkup

I ran
    the above
    program (by Iola Technologies) which listed:"1 active spyware infection22 known secuirity flawsPotentially dangerous security settingsInternet/system performance config settings not optimised32 MB system clutter6 dangerous or unnnecessary programs configured to start automatically".
    I have an uptodate ZoneAlarm security Suite and when I ran immediately anti-virus and spyware checks, nothing showed up!Any suggestions as to what's going on here? (On the basis of the above list I'm amazed my PC works at all!)

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Checkup

<blockquote><hr>jerryjupiter wrote:
    I ran
    the above
    program (by Iola Technologies) which listed:"1 active spyware infection22 known secuirity flawsPotentially dangerous security settingsInternet/system performance config settings not optimised32 MB system clutter6 dangerous or unnnecessary programs configured to start automatically".
    I have an uptodate ZoneAlarm security Suite and when I ran immediately anti-virus and spyware checks, nothing showed up!Any suggestions as to what's going on here? (On the basis of the above list I'm amazed my PC works at all!)

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:

Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>

The following response is conjecture not factual experience.

Defrag the drive, run the disk clean utility, clean the cookies, get windows updated and then try the checkup application.
    Results will probably improve.

I have never tried the checkup or have any reason to.

As for the other items - the security flaws could be anything (misconfigured IE or OE, etc) or perhaps shares are not secured properly (even the guest account is left active to use??).
    Dangerous programs at windows start??? (could be anything, not malware as such, but even the adobe speed launch or the java updater, etc).
    The active spyware infection could even be just a tracker/spy cookie.
    Internet/system performance config settings not optimised could be something simple like the wake on lan is active or perhaps some nice aspect of user profile is being used (like clear text or the performance is set to maximum)

see http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

and http://www.markusjansson.net/exp.html

if you are interested in such things.

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

jerryjupiter Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Checkup

Thanks, Oldsod.
    I regularly defrag, run disk clean, clear cookies and update windows and as expected re-running check-up app gives same result. I don't understand what you mean by &quot;shares are not secured properly&quot;, but i have no guest a/c. Frankly my set-up could hardly be more straightforward, my only problem being about 40 junk emails a day while being only a modest surfer of legit sites - but then I've had my email address for many years.
    On reflection I think this app is exaggerating its findings to maximise its sales possibilities, so I'll uninstall it and rely on the standard ZoneAlarm Security Suite's regular check runs to pick anything up.

Thread Information