OS: Windows XP Home Edition
ZASS: Upgraded from 7.0.462.??? to 7.0.470.000 (Impact was CPU utilisation 100% & keyboard response of 5 mins)
Home Setup: Broadband router with firewall between internet and standard cable broadband modem).
Since the initial problem arose I use a business laptop to sustain personal productivity.
The problem is with the desktop PC installation.
TimeFrames: 6 April 2008 - Initial Download & Install ZASS
12 April - Today & still unresolved.
Frustration and Adverse Impacts:
In my experience (~5 years), this is my first ZASS download & upgrade with such adverse impacts.
What I have done:
(1) Uninstalled the ZASS 7.0.470.000 (using Control Panel, add/remove programs).
(2) Disabled Network (Interface) Connection to the internet.
(3) Re-installed the ZASS 7.0.462.000 (Note: vsmon showed it was still using 7.0.470.000 driver/engine)
(4) Note: at the end of this install, the dialog to reboot, only had "OK" and there was no controlled manner to uncheck the "Load at startup" in ZASS, so to prevent the known problem, I had to use Task Manager to end the install, before a reboot.
(5) Un-installed 7.0.462 and decided to optimistically re-install 7.0.470.000 as the load at startup was un-checked.
(6) CPU Utilisation is now back at 100% and keyboard response is the same as previously.
The only way I regain control of the system is to kill the high utilisation processes under task manager.
These are - ScanningProcess.exe, wmiprvse.exe & svchost.exe
Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite