Thread: Failed Leaktest

psthomas Guest

Default Failed Leaktest

I use ZASS 7.0.470. I ran the Leaktest at pcflank. ZoneAlarm failed the test.
    Like Gibson's leak test you accept a download from pcflank (www.pcflank.com) to perform the LeakTest. Initially when run ZoneAlarm had Trust Level set to ?
    and
    also
    Access for Trusted and Internet set to ?. Server for Trusted was a ? and for Internet was X. I ran test again by leaving Trusted to ? and put all X's in Access and Server. The test failed again. The only way to stop from "leaking" was to select Kill for the Trust Level.
    The last I checked using Gibson's Leaktest (www.grc.com) ZoneAlarm passed. Why does ZoneAlarm fail the PC Flank Leaktest?
    Can others verify if they get the same results.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Failed Leaktest

<blockquote><hr>psThomas wrote:
    I use ZASS 7.0.470. I ran the Leaktest at pcflank. ZoneAlarm failed the test.
    Like Gibson's leak test you accept a download from pcflank (www.pcflank.com) to perform the LeakTest. Initially when run ZoneAlarm had Trust Level set to ?
    and
    also
    Access for Trusted and Internet set to ?. Server for Trusted was a ? and for Internet was X. I ran test again by leaving Trusted to ? and put all X's in Access and Server. The test failed again. The only way to stop from "leaking" was to select Kill for the Trust Level.
    The last I checked using Gibson's Leaktest (www.grc.com) ZoneAlarm passed. Why does ZoneAlarm fail the PC Flank Leaktest?
    Can others verify if they get the same results.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>

PC Flank test is a tricky test.
    It will not work with Firefox or Opera and only the Internet Explorer.
    It uses DDE and OLE vulnernabilities in windows itself to carry out it test successfully.
    Browser such as Firefox and Opera and not vulnerable to the test and the test will not work or be successful.
    Most firewalls will fail the test.
    On the other hand, there is no real time exploit for this test.
    And the antivirus should catch any malware attempting to use the test methods as a means of an exploit. That is if there was an actual real time exploit known, but there are none around.

First make sure the ZA Program Control slider is not in the learning modes such as Low or Medium, but in the High setting. For the best security setting.
    Secondly, since I seldom use the Internet Explorer,so it is set to Ask for internet access in the ZA and it is not set as the default browser in windows (this will also enhance general security).
    Third I actually do have the DDE set to ask for the internet access and it is customized with it's own Expert rules in the ZA.

So this is what my pcflank test looked like:

<center>Zone Alarm has stopped the PC Flank test from using the DDE</center>

<center>Or a closer lookthe ZA has successfully blocked the PCFlanks test attempts to manipulate the DDE for it's own purpose<center

I would deny the DDE attempt anyways, assuming it was a true and real malware.

<center>Zone Alarm has stopped the PC Flank test from using the Internet Explorerthe ZA has intercepted the PCFlanks test to manipulate the Internet Explorer</center>

I would deny the Internet Explorer attempt anyways, assuming it was malware. In this case, I did deny the attempt, since allowing it means I would be allowing the test and I want to always deny malware and never allow it

<center>but PCFlank test says I failed anyways</center>

Go figure.

But since I denied the Internet Explorer to be used by the PCFlank test in the ZA, the site would not display in the browser.</center>

Best regards.
    Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-16-2008 05:30 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

psthomas Guest

Oldsod,
    Thank you for the very thorough answer!!

You are welcome psThomas.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information