Thread: How vulnerable was my computer during "System Error: Please Reboot?"

Hybrid View

paulroy Guest

Default How vulnerable was my computer during "System Error: Please Reboot?"

Hi everyone. I left my computer on all night so a bittorrent client could run, and when I woke up in the morning, apparently Zone Alarm had crashed. It said "system error: please reboot" and virus scanning, program control, and inbound/outbound protection were all non-functioning and disabled. After a restart, everything worked fine.
    However, does this mean that all night, my computer's defenses were entirely down and I had no security? I know that the internet connection was still working without ZA operating because the bittorrent client was still connected. Having a program like that running without Zone Alarm seems dangerous to me.
    So, even though the ZA GUI had crashed, was I protected at all? Was TrueVector still covering inbound/outbound and program access, or was my system left completely vulnerable?
    Thank you in advancePaul

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: How vulnerable was my computer during "System Error: Please Reboot?"

No, not at all. Your computer is probably perfectly safe because it is only vulnerable if there is software running on your PC that can respond (maliciously) to external incoming packets of data. If your VC was up to date and you have regularly checked it for other malware, it is unlikely that anyone has been able to penetrate your PC.

What has happened is that installed software will not be checked for viruses as it is loaded and runs but you will not have downloaded and installed anything while ZA had crashed.

As a rule, never run your PC under an Administrator account. This will prevent unauthorised installation of software over the internet. In any case, Windows Vista (unlike other Windows OS's) is a trusted operating system and there is doubt about the need for AV and anti-malware products on Vista at all, but I'm not wading into that debate.

Thread Information