Thread: Unwanted network

susan_ny Guest

Default Unwanted network

ZoneAlarm wants to add a new network, New Network Found.
    There's no way to refuse the network on the dialog box.
    I googled the IP address and it's from Switzerland, so I'm sure I'm being hacked.
    If I accept the network and try to delete it from the Zones under the Firewall tab, ZoneAlarm says it cannot delete an active network.
    I tried putting a rule disabling it and it's still there.
    The virus/spyware scan comes up clean.
    There's not enough documentation on how to delete an unwanted network, so I uninstalled ZoneAlarm, hoping for an alert to refuse it, but all I've gotten is the Net Network Found.
    Please help -- I'm not accepting the Net Network Found, nor turning my computer off, until this is fixed!!!!

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Unwanted network

Delete the ZA database this way:[*]Boot your computer into the Safe Mode[*]Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder[*]Delete the backup.rdb, iamdb.rdb, *.ldb and the tvDebug files in the folder[*]Clean the Recycle Bin[*]Reboot into the normal mode[*]ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

What was this weird IP?
    Using a router or DSL modem with a NAT firewall?

Open the registry (Start | Run |type in regedit and ok) and look for this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces

below this key will be several interfaces and one or more with be the ethernet card for your computer.
    But the ethernet adapter and perhaps one more of these (or more) will show the usual:

DefaultGatewayr = Gateway 's IP as seen by windows
    DhcpSubnetMask = 255.255.255.0
    IPAddress = IP of the computer as seen by windows
    NameServer = IPs of the DNS servers as seen by windows
    SubnetMask = 255.255.255.0

If the information for the assigned IP, gateway and dns are incorrect, then the windows has an issue or error or is infected.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

susan_ny Guest

Thanks for your response.
    ZoneAlarm was repeated rejecting requests to add networks, but one had gotten through.
    Finally, when I wrote a rule on the Advanced Tab of Zones. it
    blocked the network.
    I was getting network from Switzerland and
    Poland!!
    (I googled them.)
    Anyway, I gave back my wired modem to the cable company and got a wireless one this weekend, and the cable company must have given me a new IP address because there's been no more ZoneAlarm alerts about rejecting new networks requests.
    Thanks again for your response.
    Susan

Hi Susan
    Glad that got straightened out!
    I would strongly suggest to get a router along with the new modem.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

susanw Guest

This is my problem as well, but I'm a little confused about how Susan from NY resolved this.
    This morning I suddenly received notice from my ZA that a new network had been detected. It wouldn't let me say "no' to it -- how can that be?
    I finally put it in my Internet Zone, then I figured I'd try to delete it. ZA won't let me delete an "active network." Surely if this is unauthorized, ZA should allow you a way to get rid of it?
    The IP is 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0
    I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I
    recently downloaded an upgrade to my att browser...I'm on DSL.
    Please help!

"This morning I suddenly received notice from my ZA that a new network had been detected. It wouldn't let me say "no' to it -- how can that be?"

Because if you block off your computer's own dhcp server, then there is no networking or internet possible. The ZA is actually protecting you from killing your own network connection.

"The IP is 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0:

Yes this is correct. This is more than likely the current dsl modems or from the router is you are using one.

"I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I recently downloaded an upgrade to my att browser."

Not important or revelant to the networking.

More than likely the router or you nat dsl modem assigned a new IP to the computer.
    More than likely the IP assigned to your computer is a dynamic assigned IP not a static assigned IP - which means the IP of the computer will be changing from time to time as the lease for that IP expires or on the possible restarts of the modem or the router. Thus a new network was created and seen by the ZA and this new network found replaces the old network.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

susanw Guest

Whew -- thanks. That makes sense...I was about to go through the protocol you mentioned above...

You are welcome, Susan.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information