Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Customize the program security level for AVG 8;Authenticate program by full path name

dwinston Guest

Default Customize the program security level for AVG 8;Authenticate program by full path name

Some Programs from AVG 7.5 and AVG 8 have same name but different path. The following seems to mean that ZASS should use full path name. I do not know about the only.

ZASS|Program Control|Programs|options|Security|Authenticate program by full path name only

For example: ZASS says AVG E-Mail Scannet is "alive" with Entry Detail: Version 7.5.0.510
    AVG Anti Virus System C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
    which would result from just checking components.

Entry Detail for the other avgemc.exe Version 8.0.0.134 AVG Internet Security
    has the full path name of C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe

Windows XP 2002 SP2
    Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.14
    AVG8 Free Edition
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.483.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.483.000
    Driver version:7.0.483.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:955727722
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200807.4245
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Customize the program security level for AVG 8;Authenticate program by full path name

<blockquote><hr>dwinston wrote:
    Some Programs from AVG 7.5 and AVG 8 have same name but different path. The following seems to mean that ZASS should use full path name. I do not know about the only.

ZASS|Program Control|Programs|options|Security|Authenticate program by full path name only

For example: ZASS says AVG E-Mail Scannet is "alive" with Entry Detail: Version 7.5.0.510
    AVG Anti Virus System C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
    which would result from just checking components.

Entry Detail for the other avgemc.exe Version 8.0.0.134 AVG Internet Security
    has the full path name of C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe

Windows XP 2002 SP2
    Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.14
    AVG8 Free Edition
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:955727722

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>

Full path name means just that - both the file location and the file folder. Not to mention the drive path.
    If trying to use the avg8 file with the avg 7.5 folder, it is not going to work. It has to be the from the newer avg 8 folder.
    Delete any of the older avg 7.5 references or listing in the ZA program list as these are probably obselete and have no more use.
    Probably your best approach was to remove any/all avg items from the ZA program and components listing before installing the avg 8. Then install the avg 8 and start doing the customizations in the right click and in the options.
    I also use file path instead of authenticate components for the antivirus I use, because it constantly updates and gets file changes, thus avoiding the extra work of constantly setting up new settings/application expert rules. If I use the authenticate components, then the ZA will do check sums of the file and every update changes that file. Even though the file is listed in the ZA, the ZA will no longer either recognize the newer file and ignore it or will ask once again about the file in the alerts and then repeat a process I have have been through once or several times before.

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 07-23-2008 01:01 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

dwinston Guest

Default Re: Customize the program security level for AVG 8;Authenticate program by full path name

How do I delete programs from the ZASS program listing?

Select the program and slect the Remove in the mouse click. You found the options could you not see the remove as well?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

dwinston Guest

ZASS|Program Control|Programs|options
    ADD and OPTIONS are in the lower right hand corner of the Programs page.
    To the right of Entry Details.

Right-click on program name:
    Changes Frequently is already checked
    Options same as lower right hand corner
    Properties
    Remove removes program that is high-lighted and displayed in the Entry Details at bottom of page.
    Add Program

That is great. Thanks.

Anti-virus signature DAT file version:955781876

I see in the other threads you are having some problems with the display and a few other things. Maybe just do a resetting of the ZA database and get everything started from fresh helps. This will start the ZA over again and get things cleaned up too at the same time.[*]Boot your computer into the Safe Mode[*]Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder[*]Delete the backup.rdb, iamdb.rdb, *.ldb and the tvDebug files in the folder[*]Clean the Recycle Bin[*]Reboot into the normal mode[*]ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

dwinston Guest

Microsoft helped me with my problem. Tried repair but had to format hard disk. This did fix my problem so I owe him enough to follow his advice. Sorry, I can not trust ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite anymore.

<blockquote><hr>dwinston wrote:
    Microsoft helped me with my problem. Tried repair but had to format hard disk. This did fix my problem so I owe him enough to follow his advice. Sorry, I can not trust ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite anymore.
    <hr></blockquote>

Repair installations are used for window opertating systems when the windows itself is badly messed up either by malware or by the user themselves.
    Formatting and re-installing windows is never a fix or a solution - it is the last resort measure.
    Obviously Microsoft did not help you - anybody can do a reformat and reinstall, but only a few are qualified to fix windows properly.

I seriously doubt Microsoft said the Zone Alarm messed up your windows system as Microsoft has for years recommended Zone Alarm and still does to this very day.
    Try that joke with somebody else - not here.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

dwinston Guest

If my problem was caused by Malware then I think it is natural to expect ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite to protect me from harm. If I caused the problem then I need to stop doing whatever I was doing wrong and in some respects that included ZASS. I am on my third software package since November. So it is likely that I will be looking for something better in October. I like the security software to check email, ZASS does not look at Mozilla Thunderbird which is the mail program I prefer. I will admit to an inability to read technical documentation off a monitor. There are a whole lot of things that I should have learned about operating the ZASS software, and that is my fault. At least, the software I am now trying will check out my box of floppy disks though it seems more likely to have been a result of this free software that I have been using. I do hope you can help the guy with the ping problem because that is exactly the symptom that I had.

The ZAISS is designed to protect, but will be limited by a user's own individual actions. Nothing is iron cast for security programs not in life itself.

Three security programs in nine months is not good as far as security goes.
    This would imply three failures in security.
    It is not the security program - almost any antivirus program fully updated and used for regularly scheduled scans is effective for removal of malware.
    It is the prevention of the malware that lies in the hands of the user, not in the security programs.
    Security always starts first with the user. Security programs are secondary.
    All that advertising and internet chatter about the very best security program is just false and misleading advertising and a misconception.

Just basically using a ZA Pro and an antivirus for the full time security and I have had no malware of any kind for over three years. And I have been and seen some of the very worst parts of the internet that there is and yet no infections.
    No spyware scanners (using ZA Pro 5.5) or additional ondemand scanners are used.
    Just simple and proper security practises and processes are used as the first line of defense.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information