Thread: Network Connection

troubledpc Guest

Default Network Connection

ZA just found a "new network" connected to my PC. I had not created a new network nor had I made any changes to my existing network. What was ZA looking at to ask this? And, should it not have been alert of some kind "IF" I had made a change to my existing network. I'm using
    XP Home with a cable modem.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:

watcher Guest

Default Re: Network Connection

Dear troublepc:

ZAISS autodetects new networks and displays a New Network Alert when it is first detected so you can decide whether to place it in the Internet zone or the Trusted zone. By default, ZAISS will put public networks in the Internet zone and private networks in the Trusted zone. At any time after this, you can go into the Zones tab of the Firewall panel, right click the Network entry type, click Edit, then change the Zone and add a Description.

If the Network IP address is a public address, it should be placed in the Internet zone, as it mean your cable modem is directly connected to your ISP. If it shows a private IP address, your cable modem probably has an integrated router that provides DHCP and NAT services, and should be placed in the Trusted zone.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

troubledpc Guest

Watcher, thank you. Where did, what do you think, may have caused a new network to appear? The setting, I'm aware of how to setup,
    but since I hadn't installed a new network, I question whether it is a valid network or some kind of spyware network.

Something simple such as the internet provider changing their DNs server's IP's or re-assigning you a new IP, could be the cause.

A conflict with another software could also be the cause.
    The conflict with the ZA or even some minor Operating System errors could have caused a corruption in the ZA databse. Hence the ZA started over.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

watcher Guest

Dear troublepc:

In addition to what Oldsod stated, maybe an example will help. If I use dial-up at home on a laptop, the Zones tab will show a New Network dialog box the first time it is detected. OK, so I put it in the Internet zone because the network IP address is a public IP address(routable over the Internet). Next, I take it to the school's IT lab and connect up to an Ethernet network using a straight-through cable. The school's IT lab has a router which provides DHCP services, assigning a private IP address such as 192.168.0.2 to my laptop. The New Network dialog box will display again and ask me what zone to place it in. In this case, it's a private network(the assigned private IP address is not routable on the Internet), so I place it in the Trusted zone. I know the router is performing some type of network address translation, or NAT. Another possibility is PAT, or port address translation. Now I take it down to the school library and connect up to another Ethernet network. The New Network dialog box displays again because at this location it uses DHCP only, assigning an IP address from a pool of public IP addresses. Because this network IP address falls in a public IP address range, I put it in the Internet zone.

I read somewhere in this forum something new I never knew about ISPs. Some of them will change the Internet server that you use on a regular basis, for security reasons. These servers can be on different subnets, similar to the example I gave you above. That means whenever they do that you would see a New Network dialog box the first time it was used.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

My provider changed DNS server IP almost once a year. The change is not so much security reasons, but new hardware and operating systems. The result is increased capacity. They went from two servers to two larger servers to one massive comprehensive server (one IP).

But I skipped the providers DNS and stay with openDNS instead. They are faster and safer. And free. The DNS IP 's will probably not change in my situation. A nice alternative DNS server for dial up users is treewalk. TreeWalk is also free and safe.

Open DNS...

http://www.opendns.com/

TreeWalk...

http://ntcanuck.com/

TreeWalk has a wealth of information and tips for users ( it's hidden but can be found).

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

zaswing Guest

I hope tacking this is not hijacking because I think it falls under the "ZA found new network" subject. If it is hijacking, please somebody, separate out or kill.
    I understand Oldsod's scheme. Or I think I do. I understand what you, WATCHER, wrote, but in the description of migrating from home to the ITlab to the library (and back home I hope at some point ) few thins are missing for my understanding. Do you, at any time have to fiddle with the settings in Windows, such as obtain IP automatically, if so, do you use profiles for this sort of thing or is this totally irrelevant. I assume your modem at home gives you DNS list or is a DNS server. But you hit school and DNS list is changed. So in ZA do you make changes as you go along or none at all. I'm not even sure how to ask this properly because it's a matrix of settings, of which only few come to mind at the moment.
    To aid the discussion, let's agree on a starting point: router is currently DHCP server and DNS server and contains ISP's DNS addresses. Firewall set to trust the router's job as a whole. Or start from dial-up. I don't care.
    Any answers from both of you will be more than welcome, if you have time. Oh, and forget stationary desktops. Let's take the worst case scenarios - travelling laptops, but let's skip wireless at the moment. When I get the drift of the whole picture, wireless just falls into place, so that's no issue.

watcher Guest

Dear zasuiteuser:

The example I gave was a hypothetical of sorts. The networks I use at home and at school(where I still have privileges) do exist but I have not taken my laptop to school. Besides its high cost, it's too risky and the school's desktops' specs would beat out my laptop's any day. Not to mention the expensive software they have on each. So what would be the point(other than testing their wireless network out). Less wear and tear on my laptop means it should last longer.

You are right about DNS servers changing. At home, my ISP has 2 DNS servers. I list them in TCP/IP Properties for my ISP connection in Network Connections and in the Zones tab of the Firewall panel of ZAPRO(in Trusted zone). At school, in their IT lab, the same router does DHCP and DNS. I know this because the IP addresses for both are the same(using ipconfig /all at the command prompt on the host). Since it is using private IP addresses, ZAPRO would place this network in the Trusted zone by default. There would be no separate DNS listing in the Zones tab. That's what happened when I installed ZAPRO on one of their computers a while back. The school library has a separate DNS server so you would have to change it in the Zones tab of the Firewall panel.

You would create connectoids(like a shortcut) in Network Connections for all 3 scenarios using the New Connection Wizard. That would be recommended if you used them all frequently. I've done it with dial-up. I can connect to my school remotely using dial-up and use the Internet from there, in addition to using my ISP's account. I've heard of some people having dozens of these on their laptops. Probably road warriors who go from motel to motel.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

zafzap Guest

I hope this is not considered a hijack, but here is where you discuss itoesn't ZAP already perform the 'Open DNS' function as part of the traffic source monitor?Which does it better?Does using both slow the system?
    I have a fiber connection thru Verizon's router next to my computer, and Verizon does not provide support if my computer does not get an IP.

Thread Information