Thread: Rootkit Revealer ?

longknives Guest

Default Rootkit Revealer ?

I scanned my Desk Top computer with the Rootkit Revealer merely as a means to keep up with what
    may or may not be known to me.The Version,The Rootkit Revealer that is,
    was its latest(V1.7)
    and as it were
    it was run directly from the technet/sysinternals web site.This was somewhat of a new experience(running the Rootkit Revealer directly from the
    sysinternals web site)
    for me however the results is what has prompted me to ask a question.The Rootkit Revealer stated that there were in fact 4 discrepencies of which I'am able to satisfy
    three of the four with a single remaining instance,a discrepancy if you will to account for.The discrepancy which there is but a 4 byte data mismatch between Windows API and raw
    hive data detailed the find as such HLKM\SOFTWARE\ZoneLabs\ADBLockCount
    8/14/2005
    6:06 AM

4 bytes Data mismatch between Windows API and Raw hive data.I wish not to assume any particular position though I would be most grateful
    if a lucid position could be stated so that what I might suggest I have some information on
    could in fact be confirmed.What is ADBLockCount ? In other words what does this mean ?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Rootkit Revealer ?

The adblockcount registry key is showing the exact number of blocked ads.
    The "Data" column will respectively change as the number of blocked ads events are added in.
    This key is not a rootkit or a spyware.
    It is simply a counter for the blocked ads as blocked by the ad blocker found in the ZA Privacy.
    Even if the adblocker is disabled, the registry key for the adblocker will still be present - it is part of the ZA setup and it's designed function (for your protection).

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

longknives Guest

The finding as to the Rootkit Revealer was not un-nerving but it was an area whereby a need for greater clarification has proved useful.This is meant to suggest to any and all whose results after running the "RootKit Revealer" are marked by a discrepancy.That this kind of exercise is as useful to a clean machine as it would be to a machine whose integrity has been compromised.It is a recommendation that when these utilities are used, that they be used carefully, comprehensively with the ultimate beneficiary being the computer user and the knowledge gained as a result.LongKnives thanks oldsod for the time and the care given the explanation.

<blockquote><hr>LongKnives wrote:
    The finding as to the Rootkit Revealer was not un-nerving but it was an area whereby a need for greater clarification has proved useful.This is meant to suggest to any and all whose results after running the "RootKit Revealer" are marked by a discrepancy.That this kind of exercise is as useful to a clean machine as it would be to a machine whose integrity has been compromised.It is a recommendation that when these utilities are used, that they be used carefully, comprehensively with the ultimate beneficiary being the computer user and the knowledge gained as a result.LongKnives thanks oldsod for the time and the care given the explanation.
    <hr></blockquote>
    Yes it does basically that - finds the unusual and just reports the results, leaving the user to determine what is legit and what is suspect.
    It is a learning process to use this tool.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information