Thread: Potential hacker risk

jeks Guest

Default Potential hacker risk

Dear All,
    I really hope someone can help. Sorry if this is long and drawn out.
    I am increasingly worried about a potential, or actual attack, on my computer by someone whom my partner used to be
    acquainted with many years ago. He is a computer whizz, odd and obsessive,
    and 8 years ago he managed to hack into our email. This was the final straw. As a result of his increasing behavioural problems we cut off all contact. That was 8 years ago. This year, out of the blue, he has got hold of our address and phone details. We now live 150 miles away. Despite keeping our trail clear he is starting to pester again with letters.
    Our computer has been acting strangly this past week. It turns itself on when turned off on multiple occasions day and night. Is this a Trojan Horse?
    Can this guy access my computer from 150 miles away? Is this possible and how do
    I stop it if it's happening?
    I am not fully computer savvy so clear simple explanations please!
    I
    have ZASS installed and have just purchased 'Spyware Detector' separately that picked up 452 risk items on first scan! Now quaranteened.
    I don't understand why ZASS didn't pick these up?
    This is totally freaking us out so all help much much appreciated.
    Thank you forum members
    JEKS

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Potential hacker risk

Hi!please note that SpywareDetector is a rouge antipsyware program (false detections and potential problems)Why did you buy this program? ZASS already comes with two antispyware engines and you do not really need anything more than ZASS if you keep italways active andupdated.See a discussion here: http://forums.pcworld.com/message/86692Better you run the following free tools and ask for a refund on SpywareDetector.http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.phpandhttp://www.superantispyware.com/down...NTISPYWAREFREEIf you have doubts your system has been compromised, try to consult malware experts, for example:Post your Hijackthis log here:
    http://www.castlecops.com/f67-Hijack...ans_Oh_My.htmlPlease read mandatory steps before posting:http://www.castlecops.com/t102301-Hi...e_Posting.htmlCheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jeks Guest

Dear Fax,
    Many thanks for your reply.
    I bought Spyware Detector simply because it was recommended elsewhere on this forum when
    I typed in trojan horse. So sadly it looks like
    I was misrecommended it. I researched it and found nothing but positive feedback from users.
    I bought it as a download so will see if
    I can get a refund. It's frustrating as I don't know whos advice is correct now as I followed user advice then and now I'm being told something different.
    Time to go and do some thinking and further research.
    Thank you again. Your advice is valuable
    JEKS

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>jeks wrote:
    I bought Spyware Detector simply because it was recommended elsewhere on this forum
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You're welcome!Spyware Detector recommended here?I doubt it was recommended here at least not by senior users.We usually do NOT recommend other antispyware than ZA unless they are free.For example, superantispyware (free version).Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Look here.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

riceorony Guest

jeks,

Have you tried backing up your very important files ONLY, and then performing a full reformat of the computer?

This will remove any possible troyan horse/malware/viruses/worms/etc. on your computer and then reloading your purchased copy of ZA-ISS?

All computers should have come with recovery cd's just for this purpose.

The only way your computer can turn on mysteriously is 2 ways:
    1.) Someone physically turns it on (e.g. cat?)
    2.) You plug your computer directly into the cable/dsl modem, and then a &quot;magic&quot; packet is sent to your computer from another location which causes it to boot-up (e.g. Boot-on lan). Some computers have this feature set on by default, but this should be disabled by going to the BIOS settings and turning it to disabled.

<hr>Dear All,

I really hope someone can help. Sorry if this is long and drawn out.

I am increasingly worried about a potential, or actual attack, on my computer by someone whom my partner used to be acquainted with many years ago. He is a computer whizz, odd and obsessive, and 8 years ago he managed to hack into our email. This was the final straw. As a result of his increasing behavioural problems we cut off all contact. That was 8 years ago. This year, out of the blue, he has got hold of our address and phone details. We now live 150 miles away. Despite keeping our trail clear he is starting to pester again with letters.

Our computer has been acting strangly this past week. It turns itself on when turned off on multiple occasions day and night. Is this a Trojan Horse?

Can this guy access my computer from 150 miles away? Is this possible and how do I stop it if it's happening?

I am not fully computer savvy so clear simple explanations please!

I have ZASS installed and have just purchased 'Spyware Detector' separately that picked up 452 risk items on first scan! Now quaranteened. I don't understand why ZASS didn't pick these up?

This is totally freaking us out so all help much much appreciated.

Thank you forum members

JEKS<hr>

Sometimes the processor will get too hot and the self protection will activiate and turn off the computer.
    Usual cause of excess heat is dead or dirty fans, dirty heatsinks and grills and dirty motherboards and clogged power supplies.

Occasionally the power supply had a spike or low and the computer was disabled by a safety or too low a voltage.
    It could be a slowly degrading power supply.

Notice any beeps in the POST time or codes from windows? Cleaned the computer lately?
    Laptops are notorious for getting the insides clogged with dust/dirt and getting over heated gives the same result - the laptop shuts itself off.

Wake on lan and wake by internet can be disabled in the properties of the network cards.
    But I doubt if this is the true problem.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information