Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ping Test at GRC Shields Up indicates I failed ICMP Echo Test

eliuri Guest

Default Ping Test at GRC Shields Up indicates I failed ICMP Echo Test

Hello:

I use ZAISS 7.0.483.000. And i have my Internet Zone firewall settings set to High. Trusted Zone to Medium. The Zone Alarm Firewall High Security settings fo the Internet Zone are currently set to the Default

I just ran a true stealth analysis of my PC via:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

and it showed all my ports were Stealthed. However, I did get the following warning regarding the ping test

"Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation."

Can someone kindly explain the meaning of this "Ping test failure"? How serious a security risk is it?

How would I remedy it without disabling or impeding my DSL connection or important programs?

I use Verizon DSL with a Westell 6100 modem and a Linksys BEFSR 41 Router

Thanks in advance:

-Eliuri

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by eliuri on 08-28-2008 04:03 PM

Message Edited by eliuri on 08-28-2008 04:20 PM

Default Re: Ping Test at GRC Shields Up indicates I failed ICMP Echo Test

Hi!long into your Linksys console and unsure that 'Blocking WAN requests' is enabled (probably under the filters tab)Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 08-28-2008 10:19 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

eliuri Guest

Thanks Fax.

I just had the router reconfigured today by some online technician.

Would you kindly tell me exactly how I log on to my Linksys Console"?

I have no idea where that might be.

TIA

-Eliuri

Hi!you find the manual here:http://support.radioshack.com/suppor...oc66/66591.pdf(if this is the same model)Openyour Internet Explorer browser and type:http://192.168.1.1Unless the technician have changed the log details it should be:Username: leave it emptyPassword: adminGo to the filters tabif you dont find it use this address:http://192.168.1.1/Filters.htm Scroll down and look for 'Block WAN requests'Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 08-28-2008 10:49 PM

eliuri Guest

Hi again:

I found that at: "Block WAN Requests" Block Anonymous Internet Requests is already ENABLED. There are however three other WAN settings there. Filter Multicast, Filter Internet NAT Redirection, and Filter IDENT(port 113). The first two of those items [ Filter Multicast, Filter Internet NAT Redirection]are listed as DISABLED.

Would you recommend I change any of those?

Seems my number had been changed from 19.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1 to reconfigure the Linksys Router to work with that Westell 6100 Modem.

Thanks again, and I appreciate your patience.

-Eliuri

Hi!OK, then its your westell modem you need to configure... since also that has firewall capabilities.Don't touch the other router settings.Don't know the address of that model... may be 192.168.1.254?Check the manual on how to connect or ask the technician about it.Finally also check in ZA firewall tab --> Internet Zone Security --> Custom --> Ensure that 'allow incoming ping (ICMP echo) is UNchecked.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 08-28-2008 11:30 PM

<blockquote><hr>eliuri wrote:
    Hello:

I use ZAISS 7.0.483.000. And i have my Internet Zone firewall settings set to High. Trusted Zone to Medium. The Zone Alarm Firewall High Security settings fo the Internet Zone are currently set to the Default

I just ran a true stealth analysis of my PC via:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

and it showed all my ports were Stealthed. However, I did get the following warning regarding the ping test

"Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation."

Can someone kindly explain the meaning of this "Ping test failure"? How serious a security risk is it?

How would I remedy it without disabling or impeding my DSL connection or important programs?

I use Verizon DSL with a Westell 6100 modem and a Linksys BEFSR 41 Router

Thanks in advance:

-Eliuri

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by eliuri on 08-28-2008 04:03 PM

Message Edited by eliuri on 08-28-2008 04:20 PM
    <hr></blockquote>
    Some internet providers want to have the dsl and dial up users reply to pings.
    So in some cases the reply to pings is needed.

Secondly , replies to pings is not a liability.
    Every VPN and P2P user's computer/gateway is replying to pings.
    And so does every web/file server on the internet.
    This is not a real security risk.

Plus even if the router or the modem (if it does have a nat firewall) does reply to the pings, the computer with the ZA is not replying to pings.
    This is still a seperated network as the computer is on the private network and is not using on the public IP.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

eliuri Guest

Thanks Fax and Oldsod:
    I did go to the following site, for Westell 6100 modem support:
    http://192.168.1.1/security_general.htm
    which is a Verizon settings site for DSL.. I
    went
    to Firewall Settings there. Adjusted it from Low--&gt;Medium. Ran that GRC test again, and the ICMP Echo test passed this time. So far, the connection and access seems ok.
    However in a phone conversation with Verizon Tech Support prior to doing this,
    he said that the results of that ICMP Echo test were as expected since the Zone Alarm software would deal with any intrusions on account of ping allowance thru the network. I didnt fully understand him, but it seemed to be somewhat in accord with what Oldsod had
    posted in this thread. Though of course not as eloquently put:
    :8}
    And yes,
    the ZA
    Custom Settings of the Internet Zone Security
    are such that
    &quot;allow incoming ping (ICMP echo) is UNchecked&quot;
    as you suggested.
    In any case, I now seem to be passing that GRC Security test. All
    ports they probe are stealthed. And the ICMP test passed.
    &quot;Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. &quot;

Not sure who is right in this difference of views. But thus far the issue seems resolved. I'll post here again if I run into further problems with this.
    My thanks to you and Oldsod for bearing with me. I had never dealt with such settings on a modem and/router before...
    -Eliuri

Message Edited by eliuri on 08-30-2008 01:13 AM

eliuri Guest

Hi again:
    Seems I declared success with this prematurely.

The Medium Security settings at:
    http://192.168.1.1/security_general.htm
    blocked my ablity to log in to a program I use frequently: Paltalk Scene which is an instant messaging and chat program I've used for years and implicitly trust.
    I was able to log in only
    when
    I returned the settings there to Low:

=============================<blockquote><p align="left">&quot;Minimum Security (Low)<p align="left">The low security setting will allow all traffic except for known attacks. With low, your modem is visible by other computers on the Internet.&quot; <p align="left">=============================<p align="left">
    <p align="left">After this reset however,
    I got that same ICMP Echo failure reading at that Shields Up!
    GRC site.<p align="left">I guess I'll leave it at this setting and assume that only the modem and/or network
    is visible, but that the PC itself is protected, as I believe Oldsod was saying.....<p align="left">My
    ZA Internet settings are on High, with ICMP echo incoming ping not allowed.<p align="left">I used to be on another DSL Verizon network with a Westell 2200 modem/Linksys Router
    in which I didnt get such a reading at
    GRC's Shields Up. So I remain a bit puzzled. But this is an entirely new network and may be intended for a diffferent configuration.<p align="left">I remain puzzled...<p align="left">Thanks again:<p align="left">-Eliuri<p align="left">
    </blockquote>

Message Edited by eliuri on 08-30-2008 02:33 AM

Message Edited by eliuri on 08-30-2008 02:34 AM

I looked at the paltalk site and could not really find a proper faq or tech support.

I suspect the UPnP needs to be allowed in the modem for the messenger/chat to function properly. Most often many messengers require the nat in a modem or a router to be enabled for proper use of the messenger.

They may wish for the reply to pings to be enabled, but more than likely not.
    Plus as stated in the first reply, the modem's reply to pings is not a real security issue.

The best suggestion is contact paltalk scene directly and ask for further help or some knowledge bases to permit full use of paltalk and have the modem at a higher security level.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information