Thread: ZA Server settings

akaoperator Guest

Default ZA Server settings

Is there any way to set ZA so that it NEVER allows internet server settings? I run nothing that requires me to be a server, and am alarmed at the number and type of programs that ZA sets up as both internet and trusted server. I would rather have to set those settings to Allow if necessary than to have to go in and change them to Block. The only thing I need server allow for is svchost in the trusted zone so I can access my router settings.Thanks for your help!

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

akaoperator Guest

Default Re: ZA Server settings

Anybody?

<blockquote><hr>akaoperator wrote:
    Is there any way to set ZA so that it NEVER allows internet server settings? I run nothing that requires me to be a server, and am alarmed at the number and type of programs that ZA sets up as both internet and trusted server. I would rather have to set those settings to Allow if necessary than to have to go in and change them to Block. The only thing I need server allow for is svchost in the trusted zone so I can access my router settings.Thanks for your help!

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>

Check the ZA | Program Control | Main | Advanced button | Advanced Program Settings windows | Access Permissions | Server Attempts section | Internet Zone list | check the 'Always deny the connection'. Apply and OK the Advanced Program Settings window.
    To take immediate effect, shut down the ZA (in the ZA tray icon) and then immediately restart the ZA (in the All Programs).
    And then open the Program Control list of Programs and set the Internet Server as you desire or as it is needed.

You may find there are programs such as email clients and IM and others (updaters, etc) that will definitely need internet server rights.
    If this is the case, then re-adjust the programs.
    Checking the logs and watching the alerts will help ascertain these server programs - set the logging and alerts to On and High to get the best logging and most alerts for the best results.

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 03-19-2009 09:25 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

akaoperator Guest

Well, gosh, that was just too darn easy, wasn't it?Thanks a lot!! I can't believe I've missed that all this time.

Well, gosh, that was just too darn easy, wasn't it?Thanks a lot!! I can't believe I've missed that all this time.

<hr></blockquote>

Well there are lots of hidden little nooks and crannies in the ZA gui - but yes it simple.
    Also ...open the ZA and then press the F1 key of the keyboard - the ZA Help file will then appear ...and it does have some information or details missed or often misunderstood.
    It does explain things properly and in depth.

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

akaoperator Guest

Well, I guess it wasn't as easy and simple as we thought. Even though I have it set to deny the server connection on both trusted and internet zones, it still sets new programs as 'Ask'. Anything else you can think of that I should try?

Well, I guess it wasn't as easy and simple as we thought. Even though I have it set to deny the server connection on both trusted and internet zones, it still sets new programs as 'Ask'. Anything else you can think of that I should try?
    <hr></blockquote>

When doing manual adjustments such as this , set the Program Control slider to high and disable the smart advisor or smart defense (these with 'auto-config' for you and may overide your manual choices).

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

akaoperator Guest

I have set Program Control to Max, and turned SmartDefense Advisor off. I also noticed
    next to the Program Control slider is a Custom button, and when I opened that, there is an option for Enable Advanced Program Control. It wasn't checked before but it is now. We'll see what happens.Thanks for your help!

I have set Program Control to Max, and turned SmartDefense Advisor off. I also noticed
    next to the Program Control slider is a Custom button, and when I opened that, there is an option for Enable Advanced Program Control. It wasn't checked before but it is now. We'll see what happens.Thanks for your help!

<hr></blockquote>

Okay Peter, lets see what happens.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information