Thread: SUSPICIOUS BEHAVIOR ALERT: Windows Search Desktop/ MS Windows Search Indexer

Hybrid View

cyberjunkie Guest

Default SUSPICIOUS BEHAVIOR ALERT: Windows Search Desktop/ MS Windows Search Indexer

Hello,

I set my Program Settings to Maximum. Recently, I have done a clean re-install of Windows and everything I use on the computer. When I went through Microsoft Update, I pretty much clicked on all the Express AND Custom options to download and install.

So then, I have this new program at my taskbar that I am unfamiliar with: "Search Desktop" dialog box. I don't know when this program was available or how I ended up configuring it.

Furthermore, since the clean reinstall (and subsequently, reconfigration of a cleanly-installed ZA)... every time I start up Windows, I get a "Suspicious Behavior Alert" regarding: Microsoft Windows Search Indexer ... Search Protocol Host ... and searchindexer.exe

When I did "ALLOW" the dialog box for one time, the computer apparently freezes as if it was scanning the whole hard drive.

My question: Since this is a Microsoft software, should I ALLOW PERMANENTLY this supposed suspicious behavior?

Thanks,
    CJ

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: SUSPICIOUS BEHAVIOR ALERT: Windows Search Desktop/ MS Windows Search Indexer

<blockquote><hr>CyberJunkie wrote:
    Hello,

I set my Program Settings to Maximum. Recently, I have done a clean re-install of Windows and everything I use on the computer. When I went through Microsoft Update, I pretty much clicked on all the Express AND Custom options to download and install.

So then, I have this new program at my taskbar that I am unfamiliar with: "Search Desktop" dialog box. I don't know when this program was available or how I ended up configuring it.

Furthermore, since the clean reinstall (and subsequently, reconfigration of a cleanly-installed ZA)... every time I start up Windows, I get a "Suspicious Behavior Alert" regarding: Microsoft Windows Search Indexer ... Search Protocol Host ... and searchindexer.exe

When I did "ALLOW" the dialog box for one time, the computer apparently freezes as if it was scanning the whole hard drive.

My question: Since this is a Microsoft software, should I ALLOW PERMANENTLY this supposed suspicious behavior?

Thanks,
    CJ

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>
    I would not touch a desktop search from any body - even the windows/ms desktop search.
    It did come with some windows updates and would be be added in if the custom update was not selected or if the windows is set to install all downloaded updates.

The desktop search can be uninstalled in the Add and Remove programs of the control panel. Or so I understand - I never use the stuff myself.

If you retain the desktop search, then yes allow , right click the desktop search applications in the ZA Program listing and open the Options, check the first two items listed and apply and ok. That will resolve the ZA alerts regarding the desktop search activity.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

cyberjunkie Guest

Default Re: SUSPICIOUS BEHAVIOR ALERT: Windows Search Desktop/ MS Windows Search Indexer

Thanks.

You are welcome.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information