Thread: Security popups

hapitauk Guest

Default Security popups

I am not sure if I can get any answers.
    When trying to access the internet today I got a popup saying I needed to open internet explorer in a different window for security purposes and then it wanted to run a
    program (I think the program was ia.exe if I remember correctly)
    so I denied it.
    Next thing I knew My Computer opened and it showed a security problem with the C: drive and the D: drive and with MyDocuments.
    Also in another area it mentioned that there was a severe problem with my hard drive and also that my personal information had been accessed--although there was another popup window over these messages so I couldn't read them completely and I was unable to move the popup so I could read them.
    The popup said that my computer had three viruses in it.
    I only copied two of them--one was TROJAN.IM.Win32.Faker.a and the other was VIRUS.Win32.Faker.a.
    I went to the Zone Alarm site and searched on these viruses and no match was found.
    If I clicked on Ignore in the popup window nothing happened and if I clicked on Remove all Viruses a new program wanted to open (I believe it was the same ie.exe) which I denied since I didn't know what it was.
    I was finally able to close the popup and the whole page beneath the popup also disappeared.
    I called HP Support and she went through my computer and cleaned out some stuff--said she thought that it could be a hardware or software problem and that she did not think my personal information had been accessed.
    She said I could do a recovery which would take care of a software problem but not a hardware problem or just wait and see if I had any more problems and call in a do a recovery then.
    I opted to wait to see if I had any more problems but am now wondering could I have viruses in my computer and could someone have accessed my personal information even though Zone Alarm didn't find anything or was it false messages to get me to open a potentially harmful program. Has anyone ever had anything similar to this happen?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Security popups

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>hapitauk wrote:
    or was it false messages to get me to open a potentially harmful program. Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, most likely a fake message...Run the tools suggested here below to clean your machine:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=3787Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

naivemelody Guest

hapitauk,
    I had
    no trouble finding 'TROJAN.IM.Win32.Faker.a' on Kaspersky
    threat list - here paste this URL to your favorites/ or bookmark &gt; http://www.viruslist.com/en/viruses/...?virusid=35309<hr>Trojan-IM.Win32.Faker.a<a target="_blank">Technical details</a>Programs in this family steal MSN Messenger passwords with the help of a fake dialogue box, where the MSN password should be entered. This box is identical to the MSN Messenger dialogue box. The Trojan may give a false notification that the connection with MSN has been broken and that it will be necessary to re-connect.

As a rule the name and password entered will be sent to the virus writer by e-mail or over the Internet.<hr>More options to clean &gt; http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=29780#M29780
    - use a 'spyware removal' forum.<hr>B-)NavieMelody NYC 9-24-08 - Hold The Line - Toto

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 09-24-2008 09:34 PM

hapitauk Guest

Thanks for the info and the URLS.
    If I have run ZA anti virus and anti spyware and it comes up clean does that mean my computer is clean or do I still need to do some more cleaning as recommended in the URLS.
    ZA shows some viruses quarantined but no spyware quarantined.
    I do not use MSN messenger.

Hi!
    IMO always better to get a second opinion, better safe than sorry.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information