Thread: Call me paranoid but... did anyone else with xp have a windows update forcefully reboot their PC

thedillinger Guest

Default Call me paranoid but... did anyone else with xp have a windows update forcefully reboot their PC

Call me paranoid but... did anyone else with xp have a windows update forcefully reboot their PC...
    yes i searched the web, could not find anyone else talking about it... no it did not cause me any problems that i noticed...
    The above was on my old windows setup... But i just installed windows fresh and auto updated it.... via putting the time back to just before the auto update was set to check for updates.. then i found i could update on demand by visiting the microsoft update site... i installed a lot of updates.. all i could until i got an error... and the last update did not install, maybe a combination of using the on demand install and the windows update icon bottom right caused my problems... thing is i did not have my pc forcefully rebooted during any of those automatic updates... so yes im suspicious.
    around 18th October 2008... though perhaps it could have happened on the 17th for some of you?
    and i'm in GMT time zone... happened to me approx 24 hours ago.

thedillinger Guest

Default Re: Call me paranoid but... did anyone else with xp have a windows update forcefully reboot their PC

FYI I have windows xp pro.

thedillinger Guest

Default Re: Call me paranoid but... did anyone else with xp have a windows update forcefully reboot their PC

am sure the auto update happened because i caught sight of it just before my pc forcefully rebooted... also got a message near the taskbar bottom right to say windows had to forcefully reboot my pc when i booted up my computer again...
    i guess what happened was the countdown timer ran down and forced a reboot... probably a bad memory on my part i think regarding the updates... not thinking about the countdown timer.

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Call u paranoid...

If you've ever done a manual MS update you will have noticed that most often there is a need to restart/ reboot your pc &gt; in order for these new MS updates to take effect.<hr>If you don't want to have your pc restarted automatically by MS, then leave your MS updates 'to notify; but not to install' which is the next level down and leaves the user with the ultimate option to choose which and when to MS update. Even after a manual update you will have to manually restart. So yes, MS forced the reboot. You need only post one message.

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 10-19-2008 07:31 PM

mdbilski Guest

I have recently disabled my auto update from Microsoft because my machine has been restarting automatically while I am away from it.
    I normally stay logged on to my desktop and cable IP and just hit the Window and L keys so that when I return nothing has to restart.
    When ever I do restart I like to physically disconnect the ethernet cable from the modem while all software and desktop loads.
    Only when ZA is loaded do I reconnect my ethernet modem cable.
    When logged off there normally shows 2 programs running under my sign-on box.
    I hate the fact that some outside entity or software would control my machine to reboot and I can not control to be sure which software loads first.
    There is an alert that constantly pops up from IP 222.180.37.14

mdbilski Guest

Default Re: Call me paranoid...

Thanks NaiveMelody

thedillinger Guest

just to add this, a follow up post...
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...ssage.id=19344

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>thedillinger wrote:
    just to add this, a follow up post...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=17285http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:961698809
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200810.4776
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security