Thread: ZA not working?

kiwiphil Guest

Default ZA not working?

I happily
    run ZA on several computers now and have a problem on one of them - thankfully mine (it saves on any earache from muppets). I use a Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop running Vista Ultimate and I typically use the sleep mode because Vista Ultimate is slooooooooow to boot.
    Sometimes when I wake it up I notice the ZA tray icon is changed (I think it is a red square with a yellow cross through it) and when I "hover" the mouse over the icon says something like
    ZA is not working please restart. On restart it is back working OK but it is a concern as I sometimes (not normally) leave the wireless adapter on and I guess it is a risk until I notice the icon. This possible vulnerability is a real concern to me as there has neve been a dialogue box or anything to notify me I just have to notice the changed icon in the system tray.
    I will get more details next time it happens but if I am honest I first thought it was a one-off glitch, then that it would be sorted out next update but it still occurs.
    Anyone come accross this before?

Operating System:Windows Vista Ultimate
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZA not working?

http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...ssage.id=19415Here is a Quote from Guru Oldsod that may help..Red circle with white X or cross means the ZA has crashed.
    If the ZA crashed, the firewall drivers still works and protects the computer. But it usually goes into the default rules embeded with the driver - this means any new firewall attampts are not allowed and any malware seen would not have network/internet access.

Usually the database reset as decribed by Guru Fax will resolve the problem.
    If not then usually a uninstall and reinstall works to fix the problem.

But if interested, sending off the reasons why the ZA crashed to the technical support maybe helpful to yourselves and to others.
    Contact Technical Support in the email link below and send off any lspconflict.txt, fwdbglog.txt, tvDebug.log and any zips folders found there. These are files which technical Support can study and see what went wrong.
    Hopefully they can have a solution for your problem.
    Just send these files off to ZA before uninstalling the ZA - the uninstall may remove the files and the information could be lost for good.
    These files are all found in the WINDOWS\Internet Logs folder.
    So send these files off first before doing anything else.

Next uninstall the ZA.
    But uninstall in the safe mode not the normal mode or normal boot.
    After the uninstall, delete these folders
    <LI>WINDOWS\ Internet Logs folder <LI>Program Files\Zone Labs folder <LI>WINDOWS\system32\ Zonelabs folder
    and any files found insoide of these folders:
    <LI>any files in the Windows\Temp folder <LI>and any files found in the Temp folders found in the Document and Settings
    Then clean the Recycle Bin and reboot.
    Now install the ZA, but not in the normal mode or normal boot, but in the safe mode.
    Usually gives the best results to do it this way if there is an issue.

Reasons for the ZA crashes vary but include conflicting firewalling programs and even security that includes mail scanners, intrusion protection, network protection and web filtering such as found in antivirus and antispyware programs.
    Or from drivers and files left over from previously uninstalled firewall and security suites - clean up the junk from other uninstalls.
    Or from bad hardware such as drives with bad sectors and bad memory cards - do a drive diagnostic and check the memory cards. (this can even include bad network cards and bad sound cards).
    Or from hardware with out of date drivers and usually updating the drivers will fix the problem.
    Or from windows with a bad file system - a comnplete disk check will fix.
    Or from damaged and lost windows files - usually a system file check will fix.
    Or from printer dirvers - usually an update fixes.

Also check the Event Viewer and have a look any Errors and get the eventid numbers and read the descriptions. Often there is some insight to the problem and often a solution.
    As a general rule if one goes wrong, it is because something else went wrong and is the problem.
    The ZA crash is the result of a problem not the cause of the problem. (firewalls are fussy and complex programs).
    </LI><LI>---------------------------------------
    My Vista Configuration:

----------------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:961698809
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200810.4776
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Second Computer Vista Home Premium SP1 (32-Bit)
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:8.0.015.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.015.000
    Driver version:8.0.015.000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200810.4776
    A Vast 4.8 Anti-Virus Home Edition</LI>
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Software firewalls and '"sleep mode" and "hibernate" have issues.
    Usually the hdd is set to be turned off and then so will the firewall.
    When the drive returns to an active state, the software firewall stays turned off or actually disabled.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

kiwiphil Guest

Thanks very much for your prompt assistance, I have a lot to go at now. It may take a while before I know if anything has worked (I love intermittent faults - always better when someone else looks at them and turn up again immediately afterwards!).
    I didn't know that about &quot;sleep&quot; and &quot;hibernate&quot; either but I will check with a colleague who tends to use hibernate a lot and also
    uses ZA.
    Thanks again.

Yes and check your Power Settings and make sure the hdd does not stop.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information