Thread: Spawn Proces? Is it a Threat?

computeu Guest

Default Spawn Proces? Is it a Threat?

In my ZAP alerts log I have been noting something identified as "Spawn Process" which I never have seen before when clearing out the alerts on ZAP. Is this a serious threat to my system or something that is part of Windows that isn't harming anything? I am running on Vista Home Premium (yeah I know; it came installed) have the full Norton suite running including anti virus and allow Norton to monitor email in and out, spyware and adware and have these shut off in ZAP. Additionally, since Vista and ZAP don't like to recognize my anti virus from Norton, I have the security alert turned off in ZAP so I save a little CPU time and know anti virus is actually running. I have had ZAP for over a decade and this is the first time I've seen "Spawn Process" appear in the alerts area. I hope it's nothing serious and want to know if anyone has data on this. My version of ZAP is 7.1.254.000 which is not listed in the drop-down box below. You can't run anything higher than 7.1 because ZAP and Vista don't want it installed without corrupting downloads etc. from your browser. Yeah, I know. LOL! Thank you. computeu, Northglenn,CO

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

zaswing Guest

Default Re: Spawn Proces? Is it a Threat?

Does your Norton product include firewall? If it does you have two firewalls. Ditch Norton. Use ZA firewall.
    Onto the subject at hand, what process spawned what process?
    Spawn process is ZA's description of various Windows components or other things being started by something else.
    Such alerts are
    normal behavior in the paid versions (triple defense, OS firewall, etc).
    Usually nothing bad about it if you have a clean system. But it can well be something that shouldn't be starting a process that it shouldn't start, i.e .an indicator of some malware. There is no way to know without knowing what's involved.
    If you post the exact message someone might be able to explain. Absent that, find the entry in your ZA log in \windows\Internet Logs and paste the text here. If your alerts and logging is shutoff, then I suspect you'll never know what it was. Logs are your friend

Thread Information