Thread: Dubious program alert for PhotoZoom Pro2

sazz Guest

Default Dubious program alert for PhotoZoom Pro2

I downloaded the demo version of PhotoZoom Pro2 (enlarges photos without losing definition) from here:
    http://www.benvista.com/main/content...ea6a538878dc3d
    and installed it.

Zone Alarm Pro version 8.0.059.000 was not happy.

ZA told me that PZPro wanted to change the settings on my PC so that any application could then run a dubious program prior to starting up. It asked did I want to give permission, so I refused. I then got a series of error messages about not being able to write stuff to the registry. However, after all that, the demo seems to work OK.

Just worried that I might need to give those permissions to get the registered version working....

Any ideas what is meant by 'dubious program'?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: Dubious program alert for PhotoZoom Pro2

Hi!
    dubious means is not recognized by the central ZA database storing a large amount of safe applications.

If you trust the program you are installing you should also allow changes to the system that may be needed to its correct functioning. If not, better to pass and install something else.

I guess the best place to know why the program need to modify the system (e.g. startup) is the support service of that software.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

sazz Guest

Thanks, I'd better ask BenVista to register their program with CheckPoint then.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

benvista Guest

Default dubious program means ZA doesn't recognize it, but PZPro2 is safe

As the manufacturer of PhotoZoom Pro 2, we can assure you there is absolutely no security risk or anything unsafe whatsoever in using PhotoZoom Pro 2. What happens is PhotoZoom Pro 2 just tries to store regular program settings in the registry, such as recently opened images, resize settings, program language, etc. The program will also work when it can't store these settings, although then you won't be able to change any options or preferences (such as using a different language).

When using the registered version, it will also try to save the unlock code. If Zone Alarm Pro doesn't allow this, you would have to enter the unlock code every time you run PhotoZoom Pro 2, which is possible but obviously far from convenient.

We will try and get our software registered with CheckPoint to avoid any confusion this may cause with other users.

Thread Information