Thread: Suspicious Behavior - Windows Explorer trying to change desktop background

cheapdude Guest

Default Suspicious Behavior - Windows Explorer trying to change desktop background

I looked through the forum here and did not see a direct hit on this. Sorry if missed it, normally never have to post something new here.

Full ZA alert info

ZoneAlarm Security Alert
    Suspicious Behavior
    Windows Explorer is trying to change the desktop background. the new background may contain a Web page with executable code.

Sorry, I forgot to hit the View Properties on the alert but SmartDefense Advisor said it did not have info available for this alert type anyways.

Ran **bleep** 2008 with updated def's and also Spybot. Neither showed anything odd. Also had just run System Mechanic to clean up registry.

I of course denied the request, but wondering what is up.

Has anyone else seen this exact ALERT?

I know the desktop can get swapped by malware, so asking if anyone saw ZA catch it before and if I should dig deeper before forgetting about it.

Thanks!

p.s. ZA user since 1998 and except for the occasional ZA upgrade glitch have never felt Nortoned or McGaffed.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: Suspicious Behavior - Windows Explorer trying to change desktop background

1.) That is a Valid Alert funcrion of ZoneAlarm....2.) SomeValid Websitesand many HACKER Web-sites,Try to change your Default Home Page, and some try to Spread their Advertisment Popup by changing your background display..some do it with Click-able pop-ups, and others try forcing it on you with JAVA-Scripts..Zone Alarm tries to warn you if that happens and ask you to Approve the Change or Deny and Remember your Choice..3.) most Browsers also have an Option to Lock your HomePage to prevent it from being Changes, and Windows Has a Lock option of background..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:966020835
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200812.5045
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security