Thread: Please help me validate my security settings>buy a cheap router and set it up

Hybrid View

hunnib Guest

Smile Please help me validate my security settings>buy a cheap router and set it up

First of all, I have just reformatted this pc. I hardwired the internet service straight from the cable modem just to get all of the Microsoft Updates. As soon as I had them installed, I loaded Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite. On this pc, I am running Windows XP Home with SP3.
    Now here is where I need some help. I wish I could post a picture because
    EVERYTHING listed in programs has "3" Green Bars except for IE Per-User Initialization Utility, whatever that is...
    The following programs are listed with "3" Green Bars, along with green checks all the way across for Trusted & Internet "Access" AND Trusted & Internet "Server" AND "Send Mail"
    Application Layer Gateway ServiceCheck Point Updating ClientImage Mastering APIMicrosoft(C) Register ServerNVIDIA Uninstaller Utilitynwiz.exeRegistry Console ToolRun a DLL as an AppUserinit Logon ApplicationVerify Class IDWindows Logon UI
    Windows Security Center Notification AppWMIWMI<hr>Also...Client Server Runtime Process has &quot;3&quot; Green BarsCTF Loader has &quot;3&quot; Green BarsGeneric Host Process for Win32 Services has &quot;3&quot; Green Bars and the first three items are checked (And I have received alerts that it wants to act like a server, but I have denied it so far)IE Crash Detection has &quot;3&quot; Green BarsInternet Explorer has &quot;3&quot; Green Bars and the first three items are checked, along with &quot;Send Mail&quot;Logon Screen Saver has &quot;3&quot; Green BarsLSA Shell (Export Version) has &quot;3&quot; Green Bars and the first two items are checkedMicrosoft Application Error Reporting has &quot;3&quot; Green Bars and the first two items are checkedNVIDIA Driver Helper Service, Version 178.13 has &quot;3&quot; Green BarsOutlook Express has &quot;3&quot; Green Bars and the first three items are checked, along with &quot;Send Mail&quot;Services and Controller App has &quot;3&quot; Green Bars and the first three items are checkedSpam Filter has &quot;3&quot; Green Bars and the first two items are checked, along with &quot;Send Mail&quot;Spooler SubSystem App has &quot;3&quot; Green Bars and the first three items are checkedWindows Control Panel has &quot;3&quot; Green BarsWindows Explorer has &quot;3&quot; Green Bars and the first three items are checked, along with &quot;Send Mail&quot;Windows Messenger has &quot;3&quot; Green Bars and the first four items are checkedWindows NT Logon Application has &quot;3&quot; Green Bars and the first two items are checkedWindows NT Session Manager has &quot;3&quot; Green BarsWindows Update Automatic Updates has &quot;3&quot; Green BarsWindows Update Manager for NT
    has &quot;3&quot; Green Bars<hr>I changed Zone Alarm's Security Setting to &quot;High&quot; because while downloading a few more updates from Microsoft I received alerts where Zone Alarm was blocking access to my computer from a ton of ip addresses from China, Taiwan, Jamaica, Germany &amp; Austrailia. If someone would please check these settings I would be so grateful....By the way, after being notified about the ip addresses, I checked them out with Arin Ip Who Is, right-clicked them and chose &quot;Block&quot;. (I don't know how to use the Expert configuration tool). Is that what I was supposed to do or should I have chosen to do nothing since Zone Alarm said it protected me against it? Just in the time it took me to type this plea for help, there are 25 more blocked ip addresses in my log.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Please help me validate my program's security settings

<blockquote><hr>HunniB wrote:
    First of all, I have just reformatted this pc. I hardwired the internet service straight from the cable modem just to get all of the Microsoft Updates. As soon as I had them installed, I loaded Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite. On this pc, I am running Windows XP Home with SP3.
    Now here is where I need some help. I wish I could post a picture because
    EVERYTHING listed in programs has "3" Green Bars except for IE Per-User Initialization Utility, whatever that is...
    The following programs are listed with "3" Green Bars, along with green checks all the way across for Trusted & Internet "Access" AND Trusted & Internet "Server" AND "Send Mail"
    Application Layer Gateway ServiceCheck Point Updating ClientImage Mastering APIMicrosoft(C) Register ServerNVIDIA Uninstaller Utilitynwiz.exeRegistry Console ToolRun a DLL as an AppUserinit Logon ApplicationVerify Class IDWindows Logon UI
    Windows Security Center Notification AppWMIWMI<hr>Also...Client Server Runtime Process has "3" Green BarsCTF Loader has "3" Green BarsGeneric Host Process for Win32 Services has "3" Green Bars and the first three items are checked (And I have received alerts that it wants to act like a server, but I have denied it so far)IE Crash Detection has "3" Green BarsInternet Explorer has "3" Green Bars and the first three items are checked, along with "Send Mail"Logon Screen Saver has "3" Green BarsLSA Shell (Export Version) has "3" Green Bars and the first two items are checkedMicrosoft Application Error Reporting has "3" Green Bars and the first two items are checkedNVIDIA Driver Helper Service, Version 178.13 has "3" Green BarsOutlook Express has "3" Green Bars and the first three items are checked, along with "Send Mail"Services and Controller App has "3" Green Bars and the first three items are checkedSpam Filter has "3" Green Bars and the first two items are checked, along with "Send Mail"Spooler SubSystem App has "3" Green Bars and the first three items are checkedWindows Control Panel has "3" Green BarsWindows Explorer has "3" Green Bars and the first three items are checked, along with "Send Mail"Windows Messenger has "3" Green Bars and the first four items are checkedWindows NT Logon Application has "3" Green Bars and the first two items are checkedWindows NT Session Manager has "3" Green BarsWindows Update Automatic Updates has "3" Green BarsWindows Update Manager for NT
    has "3" Green Bars<hr>I changed Zone Alarm's Security Setting to "High" because while downloading a few more updates from Microsoft I received alerts where Zone Alarm was blocking access to my computer from a ton of ip addresses from China, Taiwan, Jamaica, Germany & Austrailia. If someone would please check these settings I would be so grateful....By the way, after being notified about the ip addresses, I checked them out with Arin Ip Who Is, right-clicked them and chose "Block". (I don't know how to use the Expert configuration tool). Is that what I was supposed to do or should I have chosen to do nothing since Zone Alarm said it protected me against it? Just in the time it took me to type this plea for help, there are 25 more blocked ip addresses in my log.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>

First of all - buy a cheap router and set it up between the modem and the computer.
    It will stealth ports and at the same time drop all of these unwanted incoming connections from various places from the entire internet.
    These unwanted incoming connection attempts are by default getting blocked by the ZA anyways, so there is no real need to block these sites. The firewall is doing the job of protecting you.<hr>

The basic IANA list for the allocated addresses spaces with the CIDR. This list is easier to use to block large address spaces from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Jamaica and so forth.

http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/

Note:
    Japan Inet = Japan
    APNIC = Asia and Pacific
    LACNIC = Latin Amercia and Carribean
    AfriNIC = Africa

the */8 is really 0.255.255.255 or perhaps easier to understand; for example 041/8 is 41.0.0.0 - 41.255.255.255 and 043/8 is 43.0.0.0 - 43.255.255.255.

That is if you are interested in blocking sites off - this will block all outbound connections as well as the inbound connections.

To add blocks in the ZoneAlarm Firewall instructions:[*] Open the ZA[*] Open the Firewall[*] Open the Zones[*] Click the Add button in the lower right or just right click anywhere in the table or field[*] Select IP Range[*] The 'Add IP Range' window will appear[*] Select 'Blocked' in the drop down menu titled 'Zone'[*] Enter the beginning of the IP range in the top 'Address' box[*] Enter the end of the IP Range in the lower 'Address' box[*] In the 'Description' enter your own choice of words.[*] 'OK' the 'Add IP Range' window[*] 'Apply' (in the lower right corner) [*] Continue to the next IP range to be blocked

<hr>

In your first list of Programs, none of these Programs need any Internet Server.
    The alg.exe or Application Layer Gateway can be disabled in the Services of the Windows - this is only needed for stately packet inspection for FTP when only using the Windows own default firewall, not needed for the Zone Alarm. It is also used with VPN and for IPSEC when using the windows firewall, but again the alg.exe is not needed with the Zone Alarm firewall in use.

<hr>

But once more I will say to you and advise to get a router and there will be no more of these unwanted connections attempts ever seen again.
    Then after installing the router, the Blocked IP ranges in the ZoneAlarm will be only useful for not allowing connections to the unwanted sites, instead of just blocking the unwanted incoming - which are blocked by the Zone Alarm anyways.
    As to why these unwanted IPs are attempting to connect to your computer - it happens all the time and this will never stop.
    This is part of the 'internet noise' or 'internet backgrounf'.
    But getting a router will definitely drop these connections before the ZA firewall sees the connections and thus there will be almost no more unwanted blocked connections to be seen in the ZA logs or alerts.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

hunnib Guest

Oldsod, I cannot thank you enough for coming to my rescue. It's late here so I will re-read your comments in the morning when I have a fresh eye and do as you suggest. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to respond. I have had some pc problems recently and I'm beginning to feel a little rattled...I finally felt like I needed to ask for some help and I'm sure glad you are there to ask.

HunniB if you have more questions, then please ask!
    Help is free and often fears or worries can be removed, and the unknown or guesses can be resolved into actual facts and details.
    So please ask away!
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information