Thread: ZoneAlarm Installed but Symantec Security Scan reported that Hacker Exposure Check failed

Hybrid View

tackyew Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Installed but Symantec Security Scan reported that Hacker Exposure Check failed

Hi:

I am using ZoneAlarm Free version 8.0.065.000

Unfortunately when I ran Symantec Security Scan (http://security.symantec.com), there is "AT RISK" warning called "Hacker Exposure Check".

Description:
    Tests your TCP ports for unauthorized Internet connections.

Analysis:
    WARNING! Unauthorized persons can make connections to your computer. This means your computer and data are not safe from hackers. To learn more about why you are at risk, view a detailed analysis of your test results.

Please help... I tried to turned on Windows Firewall at the same time also, but there is still the same.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

zaswing Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Installed but Symantec Security Scan reported that Hacker Exposure Check failed

Have you though of asking Symantec since it's THEIR advisory? or post details here, perhaps someone will be able to answer.

Please do NOT turn on the Windows Firewall. Do not EVER have two firewalls running.

tackyew Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Installed but Symantec Security Scan reported that Hacker Exposure Check failed

Hi:

Yes. Now I turned off the Windows Firewall, and run ZoneAlarm Firewall only, and restarted the computer.

I saw the detailed descriptions :

Port Number 80 : HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol). HTTP is used to transfer Web pages over the Internet. Port 80 should be open only if you're running a Web server.

Port Number 443 : HTTP over TLS/SSL. A protocol for providing secure HTTP communication. It should be open only if you're running a Web server.

May I know how to close this two ports ? I don't know which service is using this two ports, I didn't run any server application like Apache or IIS.

Message Edited by tackyew on 02-25-2009 08:04 PM

zaswing Guest

Are you on a standalone computer or hooked to some other facility which needs to communicate with your computer? Open ports 80 and 443 for incoming conections imply, to me, you're not standalone at home. Normally incoming is not allowed. Are you perhaps connected to some other router? Or are you using it for games or p2p?

tackyew Guest

Hi zasuiteuser, thanks very much for your reply.

I have only 1 desktop computer at home, and the ADSL broadband connection is wired, directly connected to modem, without any router or switch.

I don't use my computer to play game or P2P. Only use it to browse the internet. I had ran Windows Update, still no use.

zaswing Guest

The Symantec message implies to me that ports 80 and 443 are sitting there open waiting for connection, which shouldn't be, unless like they say you're running a web service or something.
    Normally you use those ports to get the web pages FROM the internet and Windows makes an outgoing connection.

So either that diagnosis is flaky, or you've got something running on your computer that you don't expect that's acting as a server. Does ZA logs show anything? Please list what the logs say about it - it's in \windows\ZAlog.txt

Could you download, unzip, and run TCP/VIEW
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897437.aspx
    and tell us what it says - do you see an ESTABLISHED connection and if so to/from where?
    And in services, can see something related to being a Web server?

Also get on the grc site and test the status of ports up to 1024
    https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

I'm tempted to suggest other tests for possible malware, but let's see first what you come up with.
    One quick one you can try is SuperAntiSpyware scan - download the free version, update it and scan
    http://www.superantispyware.com/

<blockquote><hr>tackyew wrote:
    Hi:

I am using ZoneAlarm Free version 8.0.065.000

Unfortunately when I ran Symantec Security Scan (http://security.symantec.com), there is "AT RISK" warning called "Hacker Exposure Check".

Description:
    Tests your TCP ports for unauthorized Internet connections.

Analysis:
    WARNING! Unauthorized persons can make connections to your computer. This means your computer and data are not safe from hackers. To learn more about why you are at risk, view a detailed analysis of your test results.

Please help... I tried to turned on Windows Firewall at the same time also, but there is still the same.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)

<hr></blockquote>
    Set the ZA not to start with windows (in the ZA), then immediately turn on the windows firewall (automatic and start in the services) and then reboot.
    The ZA is now turned off and it is not working and only the windows firewall is on.
    Now try the grc.com shields up test, but now using only the windows firewall and no ZA firewall.
    Are the port scan results the same as with the ZA?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information