Thread: Internet trusted zones,dns and dhcp relashionship

gorgeousjorge Guest

Default Internet trusted zones,dns and dhcp relashionship

Hi all,i
    ve readed a lot in order to try to understand how this works.
    I
    ve been using ZA since version 6.5 and it`s only now in version 8 that i see the dns and dhcp in the zones tab.
    For me it was simple,isp ip in the internet zone,private ip on the trusted zone;now i
    m a bit puzzeled about this.
    I think,by reading a lot on this forum,that the dns and dhcp should be in the trusted zone;but i have a few questions:

1-Does putting dns/dhcp in the internet zone have any conflits whatsoever with losing net performance?
    2-Does putting them in teh trusted zone poses any security risk?
    3-Why only now in version 8 does this new "features/options" have appeared?

Many thanks to all the help someone can provide,i really appreciated.

Best regards

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Internet trusted zones,dns and dhcp relashionship

<blockquote><hr>gorgeousjorge wrote:
    Hi all,i
    ve readed a lot in order to try to understand how this works.
    I
    ve been using ZA since version 6.5 and it`s only now in version 8 that i see the dns and dhcp in the zones tab.
    For me it was simple,isp ip in the internet zone,private ip on the trusted zone;now i
    m a bit puzzeled about this.
    I think,by reading a lot on this forum,that the dns and dhcp should be in the trusted zone;but i have a few questions:

1-Does putting dns/dhcp in the internet zone have any conflits whatsoever with losing net performance?
    2-Does putting them in teh trusted zone poses any security risk?
    3-Why only now in version 8 does this new "features/options" have appeared?

Many thanks to all the help someone can provide,i really appreciated.

Best regards

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>

1. Yes it can - loss of connections and slower domain name lookups and even loss of connections after a period of network inactivity such as coming out of standby or just a period of idle.
    Usually the general advise is to include the correct dhns and dhcp servers as trusted.
    But often enough the ZA alerts for the initial connections and servers connection to the dhcp and dns servers and then handles things properly from then on anyways. So this is not always an issue, but it often can be an issue.

2. No. Not by any means - the server rights to the dhcp and dns have to be allowed and these are not true ' internet' servers by any means.

3. The newer version 8 does offer the option to 'self configurate the network setting by itself for the ZA user' during the installation of the Zone Alarm.
    Usually this is allowed by the user and I assume this happened in your situation or it has to manually unchecked to not allowed.
    Thus the correct dns and dhcp servers were added automatically by the ZoneAlarm into the Zones as Trusted.
    Not a security issue nor a risk of any kind.... and probably makes things a little smoother overall for the network connections and site connections.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

gorgeousjorge Guest

Hi there,well first just let me say thanks for your quick reply.
    I
    ve readed another post from you on this forum regarding this same situation and saved your post to my computer for information,and just let me say a very big THANKS for sharing your knowledge about this situation.
    I do now understand why they need to be in the trusted zone,and also i
    ve been experiencing some loss of connectivity in my machines,both intranet and internet,now i know it was because of this issue since i`ve putted them all in the internet zone,dns and dhcp.
    Now armed with this info i
    ve already changed them to the trusted zone and all seems to be working ok.
    Thanks again for your highlightments on the subject,it has helped me a lot.

Best regards

You are welcome gorgeousjorge.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information