Thread: A program keeps giving itself server and mail rights

kmack Guest

Default A program keeps giving itself server and mail rights

A good day to all

I am in need of some help in understanding why programs in ZAISS are able to change settings that I have manually made, at the moment the main offender is Java[TM] Platform 6U13 program when rebooting it will change ? settings I have made to all zones into ticks giving itself full server rights plus mail some other programs such as Microsoft media center occasionally do the same and this is not after updating but upon opening the program. I am wondering now if ZAISS is truly effective at program control or can program control be manipulated somehow by programs themselves, multiple scans by various spyware programs return clean as does the ZAISS virus scan.

Thank you for any assistance
    Regards Steve

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

stupefy Guest

Default Re: A program keeps giving itself server and mail rights

ZoneAlarm Forum Volunteer Community Help
    Set The SmartDefense Advisor To Manual
    With SmartDefense Advisor Set to Auto:
    SmartDefense Advisor queries the ZoneAlarm server to determine the policy for that program,
    and Sets the Permissions Automatically.
    With SmartDefense Advisor Set to Manual:
    SmartDefense Advisor queries the ZoneAlarm server to determine the policy for that program,
    and only Displays the Recommended Permissions. With this Information, you can set the Permissions on your own.
    To Set The SmartDefense Advisor To Manual:
    Navigate To:
    ZoneAlarm Interface/Program Control/Main/SmartDefense Advisor/ -and then
    Move the Slider Down to 'Manual'
    NOTE: When you set the Program Permissions to 'Ask':
    ZoneAlarm Displays an Program Alert prompting you to Allow or Deny Access to the Program.
    If you select 'Remember this setting' when responding to such an Program alert, ZoneAlarm Keeps your Setting by
    Replacing the 'Ask' with an Green Check Mark for 'Allow' and an Red X Mark for 'Deny'.
    If after setting the SmartDefense Advisor to Manual, ZoneAlarm still will not retain the settings, it is an
    sign that the ZoneAlarm Installation has become corrupted. You will then need to Reset ZoneAlarm.
    To Reset ZoneAlarm:01.) Hold Down the Ctrl + Shift keys Together on the Keyboard
    02.) Right click on the ZoneAlarm Icon down by the System Clock
    03.) Choose 'Reset' from the Menu Dialog that pops up
    04.) Choose 'Yes' on the Reset Settings Dialog Box
    05.) When prompted, choose 'OK' to Restart the System
    06.) Log into the Windows Account where ZoneAlarm is Installed
    07.) Choose Maximum Protection
    08.) Choose Manual for the SmartDefense Advisor
    09.) Allow to Scan for Applications
    10.) Allow to Setup Network Automatically
    NOTE: All Custom Settings Will Be Lost

kmack Guest

A good day to you stupefy

Thank you for the answer I was unaware zone alarm can over ride settings I had made in auto advise mode, when you say zone alarm installation may have been corrupted could you elaborate further? Appreciate your help thanks.

Regards
    Steve

stupefy Guest

ZoneAlarm Forum Volunteer Community Help
    QUOTE/when you say zone alarm installation may have been corrupted could you elaborate further?\END QUOTE
    As with any software, the files can become unworkable, unable to communicate with the operating system, or
    unable to carryout instructions, such as retaining settings.
    As with any software, there are many variables that can corrupt an software installation. When an software
    installation becomes corrupted, the software needs to be Reset or Reinstalled.
    QUOTE/multiple scans by various spyware programs return clean as does the ZAISS virus scan.\END QUOTE
    ZoneAlarm is an high-end security product and does not function properly with some low-end security software, or
    the real-time protection features of some other security software. Even with the real-time protection features of
    other security software disabled, conflicts can occur. ZoneAlarm Patches The Windows Kernel Far Deeper than most
    security software. When ZoneAlarm is installed along with low-end security software, or security software that
    exists real-time protection features, both the ZoneAlarm installation and the other security software installation,
    could ****** each other.
    To obtain second opinion security scans it is more beneficial to run Reputable Online Scanners.
    This allows for more hard drive space and frees up memory, allowing ZoneAlarm to perform its Stellar Protection.

kmack Guest

Good day again

Thanks for your time and information, obviously my experience with computers and software is limited, my only concern was a security breach of zone alarm itself,by your information whats more likely is that it is of my own doing.

Farewell
    Regards
    Steve

Thread Information