Thread: ZERO-DAY Thread Protection?

cyberjunkie Guest

Default ZERO-DAY Thread Protection?

Hi everyone,

In the past month, I have read several threads warning that ZA and other AV-like suite/programs are more than likely to conflict with each other.

In the past 2 years, I've consistently used ZAISS and PC Tools Spyware Doctor w/ AV. The newest version of Spyware Doctor has ThreatFire.

So my questions are:

1.) Does ZA have any zero-day threat protection like PC Tools ThreatFire?
    2.) If these two programs (ZA & SD) do conflict, is that why my computer never pick up any infections?

Thanks,
    CJ

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZERO-DAY Thread Protection?

Hi!1.) Yes. See here for examples2.) We can't really say it. We can't exclude it... btw, ZA works now?? :8}Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 05-29-2009 08:58 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Zero-Day Threat Protection?

1- Does ZA have any Zero-Day Threat protection...> as fax has mentioned the combination of ZA features/ modules
    protect against zero-day threats. If you wish, you can also
    view ZA's ForceField as 'Zero-Day Threat' software - as it's designed for. I think you have ForceField, yes?<hr><hr>Click on any of the following links for more information and the 'why and how's' ForceField was developed.<hr>&gt; http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...top-attack.htm<hr>&gt; http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...r-security.htm<hr>&gt; http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...r-security.htm<hr>&gt;

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 05-30-2009 10:10 PM
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; August 1st, 2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: blog links bad

cyberjunkie Guest

Thanks for replying and providing some more info on ZAFF, fax and NaiveMelody

=====

In response to your questions, NM-

1.) Yes, I've had ZAFF for at least 6 months now.
    2.) Spyware Doctor w/ AV includes ThreatFire in its IntelliGuard (it was known as Behavior Guard).
    3.) As of RIGHT NOW, after a clean Windows install, I only have ZAISS and ZAFF running. I leave Privacy Controls alone because of ZAFF.

This time, I also left myVault alone. It's been tiring to re-type all the PI into myVault, and I never get any alerts.
    Since myVault only protects information (as I understand it) relayed through PORT 80, I no longer see any use for it. In my view, myVault might be more of value if it can protect information from trojans and keyloggers using the 65thousand OTHER PORTS.

=====
    EDIT FOR POST SCRIPT:

Oh, there was one odd incident once, while I was on ZAFF PRIVATE BROWSER/FIREFOX... the browser shut down on itself. I thought I might have been browser jacked... ZAFF can't be that easily worked around, could it?

Message Edited by CyberJunkie on 05-29-2009 12:22 AM

Message Edited by CyberJunkie on 05-29-2009 12:26 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>CyberJunkie wrote:
    Since myVault only protects information (as I understand it) relayed through PORT 80, I no longer see any use for it. In my view, myVault might be more of value if it can protect information from trojans and keyloggers using the 65thousand OTHER PORTS.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You have to think that ZASS or ZAX is a package, eachpart of the toolwill contribute to the protection of your information. Trojan and keyloggers will need to get pass the antivirus, then if they get pass the antivirus they will need to get through the protection and block provided by the ZA OS firewall (HIPS), then if they manage to pass they will need to collect information that are jammed by ForceField and finallyanything left can also be filtered by the Myvault. Parental filtering can also be a very effective filter when driving dangerously on the web. For the specific protection of MyVault please note that it will filter common non encrypted (non-SSL) ports like 25 or 80. Its not enough alone... but its part of the package of protection provided by ZA.You have a complete multilayer protection at your service. You do not need anything else. Of course, any other tool will claim to protect you better. Learn how to fully take advantage of your protection. The rest is marketing hype. You can check your system from time to time with the free 'on-demand' MBAM and/or Superantispyware.Apply acommon sense approach: don't allow ZA pop-ups without even read what was the pop-up about. Keep your ZA program control at MAX (default after 21 days of use). Clean your ForceField virtual data often, don't install software of unknown or P2P origin (download from the source).Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 05-29-2009 09:46 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information