Thread: Website Issue

redbull Guest

Default Website Issue

I jump around the web and read news, etc. from a number of sites and I had an issue with -- www.newsmax.com -- today.

I was on the site reading an article when all of a sudden an ad
    window popped up advising of security threats (very plain pop up) and to let it scan computer, we have all seen these fraudulent ads, so I closed ad box to keep reading...you know ignore stupid pop up box.

But instead of closing it started to scan...I disconnected and scanned with zonealarm, no issues.

I thought
    zonealarm (ZAX)
    stopped these types of threats.
    How does this type of thing get started without my approval and what do I need to do to ensure it does not happen again?
    Has anyone experienced something like this running without your approval?

Did you change ZA settings or something else to protect yourself?

If this can be done, what other threats or issues should I be concerned with.....?
    Regards.
    ZAX 8.0.400.020

Operating System:Windows Vista 64 bit
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Default Re: Website Issue --> Infected

Hi!
    <BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Redbull wrote:
    I thoughtzonealarm (ZAX)stopped these types of threats. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, if your ZA virtualization is turned ON, the browser is isolated from the rest of the system. Just close the popup window (its just a fake scanning) and you will be OK. Get other windows? close them... simple, no panic. For extra security you can clean the forcefield virtual data. To get infected you need to materially download and allow to install the software. <BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Redbull wrote:
    But instead of closing it started to scan...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No, its just another fake page, harmless... just to be closed Btw, you may want to inform the webmaster of the site that they are infected.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Redbull wrote:
    Has anyone experienced something like this running without your approval? Did you change ZA settings or something else to protect yourself? If this can be done, what other threats or issues should I be concerned with.....?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, ... as suggested turn ON virtualization and keep the rest of the option in ZA atdefaults. Do not run other overlapping security tools, they may block each other and let malware get in your system.If you want a second opinion run the free MBAM from time to time.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 07-25-2009 10:49 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

redbull Guest

Thank you for all the information. I was unsure about how secure I was after the incident, so I did a complete new install of ZAX to be sure everything was working properly.

Hi!with a fresh reinstall you should ensure to:1.Turn ON virtualization (browser security)2. Set the antivirus updates frequency to once per hour (1 hour)3. Clean the virtual data from time to time (e.g. every two weeks) depending on howintensively you use the web4. Allow ZAX to learn your system (ZA program control --&gt; Auto-learn) at least a week5.Keep your OS updated up to the latest patch. Check with this online tool you don't havevulnerable applications: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/6. Set If you have difficulties with infected web sites.. go to ZA forcefield and "clean virtual data" will close all web pages and clean internet cache.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information