Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do I always lose my wireless connection?

mtwain Guest

Default Re: Why do I always lose my wireless connection?

Again I didn't have this problem until I installed ZASS. On a laptop, which is what I'm using, you go into stand by in fifteen minutes. I don't want to lose my connections every fifteen minutes and know of no feature that causes it to disable wireless.

Also, sometimes I like to schedule things to run over night and need my connection to hold.

Also, I don't lose my connection just when it goes into stand by. I can be typing a long email and then when I try to send I get the "Unable to connect. Can't establish connection to ... server"

Trying to reconnect or use Windows repair won't work. I have to do a restart. That's a pain.

Anyway, I haven't had that problem anymore now that ZASS has mercifully been put to rest.

Hi

Are the DNS server included in the ZA firewall? Use the "ipconfig /all" in the command prompt and enter the two DNS servers into the ZA firewall Zones as Trusted and just list as DNS Primary and DNS Secondary. Also there is the loopback entered- just a side question but there should be the 127.0.0.1 listed as loopback and as Trusted.

The second point is the address of the router added to the Zones. The router address is listed as DHCP in the ipconfig /all as well. The router address should be listed as Trusted also.

The third point is the Trusted zone in the firewall set at Medium or High? The Trusted Zone when used behind a router should be listed as Medium not High. This will enable a good connection.

Still a problem or not the right answer?

Zone Alarm > Firewall > Main > Internet Zone Security > Custom button > allow for the DNS and the DHCP - please check these first two in the dropdown listing.

Also please ensure that the following are listed in the Program List in the ZA and only at the trusted and just a question for the internet zones. Include crss.exe, services.exe, lsass.exe, winlogon.exe, userinit.exe, explorer.exe and svchost.exe and rundll32.exe. Do not give server rights for the trusted zone- the only one for this exception should be the svchost.exe. None get server rights for the Internet Zone.

The router itself should have DHCP enabled with the RIP-1 enabled. The internet address assigned by your provider should be listed in the router itself as well.

Finally, uncheck the setting for "Automatically put new unprotected wireless networks in the Internet Zone" Find this in the Advanced in the Main of the Firewall.
    While you are there as well please check the " This computer is a client of a ICS/NAT gateway running the ZA.."

I hope this helps the problem.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 08-09-2006 05:12 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:5.x
    Best regards.
    oldsod

mtwain Guest

I think one of the problems we are having is that smart guys like you have no idea how many retards like me are out there mindlessly tapping away on a keyboard totally oblivious to what's really going on and are simply incapable of appreciating all the work that went into the process of making it easier and easier for guys like me to go through life without ever having to think for ourselves.

When I read your reply I'm like, "Huh? DNS server, eh? What was that again? It's that molecule stuff that made me a boy with dark brown hair, right? Watson and Crook figured it out."

Anyway, your reply came just at the right time because last night I had an uncharacteristic burst of ambition and decided to fire back up ZASS and poke around and see what's the dealio-oh. It became clear to me that I couldn't even begin to appreciate what I have. I felt so unworthy. It's like giving a fine wine to a person who drinks warm Coke and goes, "Hmmmm, Coke."

Anyway, as I plodded along I felt some tingingly of inspiration. Like the frozen, rusted gears of thought were straining to turn again -- agonizingly creaking back to life. I think I manage to do some stuff. Some updates that would crash I check the A-OK options and they ran. I did that ID protection and I think it work too. It asked for my permission when I tried to log onto to this site.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my msg like you did. I'm going to try to muddle through it. Maybe I can figure out what you're trying to tell me. This ZASS has a lot of stuff. And I don't know the half of it. But I'm keeping it now. I'll figure it out. I just wasn't use to doing anything. It's easy to get use to not doing anything. Kind of comes natural after a while.

** Bookmarks ZA forum page and strokes chin in deep thought **

Hi

Any area that requires further detail or explainations will gladly be offered. Just ask us what about this... and we will reply. No problem to reply to any of your questions or problems.

I suppose I did maybe state the procedure hastily are perhaps with not enough details. So any questions you have we will answer.

DNS is used by virtually every PC. It is even entered into the Windows itself (just when using the Windows XP firewall). This done by using the properties of the network card in the NetWork Connections itself. Every firewall has a need of this as well, either to recognize the proper DNS servers or have them entered manually or in some cases the DNS is recognized and they will just ask for approval from the user. However in the ZA firewall, the DNS servers must be entered manually.To do this:

Start >All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt> type in "ipconfig /all" and hit the "enter" key on the keyboard. The typed command should be without the quotation marks and there must be a space between the "ipconfig" and the "/all". Also use just lower case lettering. Do not mix lower and upper case letters ( this will confuse Windows to no end if you do).
    A list of info should appear. Please look the DNS servers information. They should entered into the Zones of the firewall the Zone Alarm. Just use the Add button and select I.P. Address and enter the value in the popup. For the description of the first address call it DNS Primary. For the description of the second address call it DNS Secondary. Both should be treated as Trusted. These servers are the main servers that your internet provider is letting you use- so yes it is perfectly normal to have these as Trusted and never Internet. This applies to the Windows XP firewall and any software firewall you use for your internet capable PC. DNS can be googled and Wiki has a fairly good answer.

Any more steps can be explained. Just ask.

I agree with you about the ZA. It is an impressive software. Plus very good at securing the PC at the Internet.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

mtwain Guest

I'm trying to follow your instructions the best I can. I haven't been able to get through all of them. I'm definitely going to have more questions.

I do have a couple of general questions: I don't have any of the *.exe listed in the Program list. Why do you think that is if it's so important? Do I just add them all and give the settings that you said? Also, what are these for?

Hi.

Yes it is important to have the .exes in the Program Listing. Usually the 6.x versions will find these unaided. However the 5.x versions usually do not.

The .exes will be found in the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder and the Windows Explorer will be found in the Windows Directory (Folder).. The IE browser will be found in the IE Folder in the Program Folder. Please use the Add button in the lower right corner and just follow up with the explorer that appears.

Why are these inportant? Because they are required to establish an internet or LAN connection. blocking these in the firewall will result in a loss of internet. The svchost.exe is extremely vital- not even the IE6 browser can achieve internet without it.

When they are in the Program list, some will be self explainatory. Others are not.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 08-10-2006 12:23 AM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware
    Software Version:6.5
    Best regards.
    oldsod

mtwain Guest

That's odd because I have ZASS 6.5.722. Will try to get this and the other things you suggested tomorrow.

Good Morning!
    Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

mtwain Guest

Whew! Almost done. I can't believe the suits at ZA expect the average user to do all this to get a program to run. For me, it's an opportunity to learn something about all this computer stuff that I see taking over every facet of our lives.

I do have to thank you for one thing: There was no way I could follow your directions by jumping back and forth from Opera to the ZA panel so you gave me the incentive to finally fire up my Cannon printer that came with this Toshiba Notebook that I bought. That poor thing has been warming the bench for two months now. Well, now that I've printed out your directions here's where I stand:

When I go into Firewall Zones I only see two entries. One being the loopback adapter you mentioned and the other Name: New Network. In the "IP Adress/Site" field the IP is very similar to my DNS and DHCP server IPs except the last number or two. The "Site" number is the same as the Subnet Mask number from ipconfig /all menu. The "Entry Type" is "network" and the Zone is "internet." Should I change this to trusted?

In the ipconfig /all menu I only see one DNS server IP (which is also the same as my default gateway on the Linksys setup menu). I added this to the Firewall zone and just listed it as Primary. I also added the DHCP/router IP with both as Trusted.

The Firewall setting on main is: Internet Zone Security-HIGH, Trusted Zone Security-Med.

In the Internet Zone Security custom the only things checked are:
    Allow Outgoing DNS (UDP Port 53)
    " " DHCP (" " 67)
    " Broadcast/Multicast
    Block Incoming Netbios (Ports 135,137-9,445)

Anything to do here?

I'm not sure how to set DHCP enabled with RIP-1 enabled.
    On my Linksys router setup menu (WRT545 Firmware v4.30.5) the only settings I see on all menus pertaining to the DHCP are: Automatic Cofiguration - DHCP, Max Number of DHCP Users - 50, and the DHCP server is checked as enabled.

Finally, as per your advice, in the Advance Settings in Firewall Main I unchecked "Automatically put new unprotected.... And checked "This computer ...client...ICS/NAT...running ZA.

I wish I knew what this does and why it isn't set like this in the first place.

Still need to get to the *.exe stuff.

mtwain Guest

I'm having trouble adding the .exes in the Program Listing. This is what I'm doing: Program Control > Programs > Add > (I get an Add Program panel) Look in: SQ004012P03(C > Windows > System32 > crss > Open

Nothing happens. What am I leaving outt?

* Stating to feel faint.... losing will to live...."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information