Thread: configuring ZA pro for gaming

grandslamjmh Guest

Default configuring ZA pro for gaming

i have a counterstrike source game and i have my own server for that game and i wanted to know how to properly configure my ZA for that game.

the game uses the ports 1200 and 27000-27040 tcp and udp

i want to configure my ZA cause i didnt know if it was cause problems b/c i need those ports forwarded to allow people to join my server from the steam server list.

Please tell me if im not making any since

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

grandslamjmh Guest

Default Re: configuring ZA pro for gaming

OK so all i want to know is how to open ports in my ZA program

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: configuring ZA pro for gaming

Sorry about being late here,<hr>First Important Question - did you completely un-install/delete the previous firewall? If you had Norton or McAfee - please read this - http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...message.id=154
    - please use the Tool.<hr>Example - http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...ssage.id=46167 = read thru to the last.<hr>13. When should I give a program &quot;server rights&quot; and when should I deny a program server rights?

You may receive some alerts asking you if a certain program should act as a server and be given &quot;server rights&quot;. We recommend that you not give any program server rights unless one of the following is true for you:<ul>[*]You are hosting a Web site on your computer[*]You are sharing files with another person(s)[*]You are playing games that require point-to-point connections with other players across the Internet[/list]

If any of these situations apply to you, then you should give programs for the activity server rights. If none of the above examples applies to you, it is not recommended that you allow any program to have server rights. Allowing a program to have server rights means that an outside connection can access your computer through that program.

At any time in the future, you can always change the setting of the program to give it &quot;server rights&quot; by going to Program Control (left-hand column) &gt; select the Programstab &gt; highlight the program you wish to give &quot;server rights&quot; &gt; click on the &quot;X&quot; under &quot;Server&quot; and click &quot;Allow&quot; in the little box that pops up.<hr>Specifically - some of the programs that may need server rights are: some Instant Messaging
    services like 'Skype' , Messenger Live 8.1,Voice-over-Internet, etc. / on-line gaming - XBox live, Playstaion 2-3, RPG PC games, etc.
    / if you listen to or view certain
    -streaming audio/and or video programs - like listening to PC radio(AOL,Napster,etc.) Real Player, QuickTime ,Windows Media Player to listen to music or download and watch video / some Chat rooms / Web meeting...

One of the great things about ZoneAlarm firewalls, is the precise program control - that a user has - For instance if you play on-line video games - you have those programs with server rights - but when your not playing - you can reduce privileges- RED X server rights, and internet access - which stops any attempts by hackers to get in thru those programs that had previously been granted server rights=easy access.<hr>Also see this - http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=145
    - go thru the list of program settings and make sure you are in synch. Make sure all theCounterStrike/Steam programs have three green bars -super trust level
    &gt; Acess - two green checks &gt;Server -
    two green checks

&gt; Mail - ' ? '. Also check in &quot;Program Control's -'Components' panel for any Steam
    files - needing green checks there.
    Better to use IE 6-7
    instead of firefox for gaming.<hr>If you have any other anti-spyware like Webroot Spysweeper or SpywareDoctor with their real-time protection - shields/ guards, etc. you want
    to turn them off. Any webcams, Instant Messaging programs like Skype, Live Messenger,etc. = these are very chatty software - may want to restrict access on ZA program control - a lot of red x's. Is your video card up to snuff?
    For more info on gaming - right click ZA tray icon &gt; see &quot;Help&quot; this is your User Guide :0
    - Please read thru the several different sections on games, also check in Troubleshooting &gt;Third-party software &gt; Games, check game mode, etc.<hr>1 - Please try this, temporarily,
    putting your ZA's Firewall &gt; Main &gt; Internet Zone Security - change from High to Medium does the trick. &lt;&lt;&lt;
    2 - Sometimes it's temporarily shutting off the anti-virus portion(only) .3 - Shut off all 'Privacy Protection' on main tab.
    4 - All programs with 'Automatic Updates should be shut off or
    change to Manual.
    Remember to return to High/on position after a session of gaming. 5 - There are &quot;Expert Firewall Rules&quot; and 'Custom Ports' you can configure - see your User Guide.&lt;&lt;&lt; :0
    6 - Go to Steam's website , check their forums and FAQS, advisories concerning firewalls (ZA) and anti-virus.<hr>see - game rendering - http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...d=32748#M43847<hr>Next time you post anything in this forum - please list your OS, ZA firewall product and it's exact version, plus include other security software - as these may cause unforseen conflicts/issues.<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 9-8-07 - Sultans Of Swing - Dire Straits<hr><hr>The following is from Guru Oldsod...<hr>&quot;Are the port range opened in the router or gateway , or are the ports forwarded in the router?

Did you give the Steam in the ZA Program list not only trusted and internet access, but also trusted and internet server rights?Please give all these rights to the following:

steaminstall.exe
    steam.exe
    hl.exe
    hl2.exe
    steamTmp.exe

Also if there is a specific IP or IP range for the Steam server, please add this to the Zones as Trusted.

Also open the ZA | Firewall | Main | Advanced button | uncheck the following:
    Block trusted servers
    Block internet servers

and check the following:

&quot;This computer is a client of an ICS/NAT gateway running the Zone Alarm...&quot;

Allow uncommon protocols at high security.

Now open the ZA | Firewall | Common button for the Internet Security | and make sure the following are allowed:

Allow multicast/broadcast
    Allow incoming pings
    Allow outgoing pings
    Allow other incoming ICMP
    Allow other outgoing ICMP

Plus make sure the ports exceptions are entered in the correct field - if using the high security, then make sure the port ranges are allowed in the high security section not the medium security.

Okay I checked the Steam - the ports needed are described http://www.gameconfig.co.uk/showdetail.asp?id=28. A few more ports are some adjustment maybe needed.

The usual ports involved are these:

Steam Client:TCP 27020-27039 UDP 1200,27000-27015

Steam Server:TCP 27015 UDP 27015,27020

If a port does get blocked, then the either the Firewall or the Program logs of the Log Viewer will list the blocked event and the port involved, Further adjustments and refinements/improvements can be made from the information of the logs.
    Also setting the Alerts to High is helpful to see the allowed and blocked events in real time.&quot;<hr>Thanks to Guru Oldsod

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 02-25-2008 07:05 PM

Thread Information