Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ZA 7 checks for update every hour...

dremt Guest

Default Re: ZA 7 checks for update every hour... (#*$&#* annoying)

I already reported it weeks ago...as a bug report filed against the ZAISS Vista beta, and also mentioned in the report that the stealing focus problem exists in the shipping version as well.
    Thanks,
    Bob(dual booting XP Pro, and Vista Ultimate)

arrowpilot Guest

Bob:

these experts should tell on your 1st post wastinf users timr by not reading yur bug

dremt Guest

Without any interaction between testers, and developers...who knows
    how bugs are really being looked at?
    This goes for the betas,
    as well as
    the shipping versions.
    Bob(dual booting XP Pro, and Vista Ultimate)

mizzcatt Guest

Default Re: ZA 7 checks for update every hour...

<blockquote><hr>Dremt wrote:
    Well, like I said...you can always turn off auto updates if it's going to interfere with whatever you're doing, and then turn it back on...or, just turn it off, and leave it off, as long as you remember to periodically do manual updates.Bob(dual booting XP Pro, and Vista Ultimate)
    <hr></blockquote>
    "

Well, that would be an option if it actually obeyed the command. I've used and recommended ZAS for years, but this version is driving me batty!! I've set it to 'manual update' and even taken away its updating privileges in Program Control/ProgramS, but it STILL keeps mucking up my computer by trying to access the internet often and, if I reboot, gives itself its privileges back and goes on to update!! THAT IS IRRITATING!!!

ZAS Experts: Pleeeez make it stop!!

awareme Guest

Default Re: ZA 7 checks for update every hour...

Hmm...I joined this forum because of this issue, and well, didnt take me long to find that there is a thread on this after all.....

It's driving me nuts too....Please can we have an update to stop this or at least configure it so that its not hourly?

Any updates on this? It ruins an otherwise good experience with Zone Alarm 7

paulor Guest

I have the same issue, ZA updating very slowly.
    In the 1st computer it seems everything runs ok, on the hour ZA tries to update and stays with high CPU for about 1-2 min.
    Prod Info:ZA Security Suite 7.0.362.000TrueVector 7.0.362.000Driver 7.0.362.000Anti-virus engine 3,
    dat file
    20070812232000Anti-spyware engine 5.0.172.0, dat file 01.200708.2215AntiSpam 5.0.6.8903

In another computer, running the same license (it goes for 3 PCs), ZA tries to update and stays with high CPU for about 15-20 minutes! This 2nd
    computer is a little slower but not that much!
    Prod Info:ZA Security Suite 7.0.362.000TrueVector 7.0.362.000Driver 7.0.362.000Anti-virus engine 3,
    dat file
    20070817012000Anti-spyware engine 5.0.172.0, dat file 01.200708.2225AntiSpam 5.0.6.8903

So the 1st computer runnes quicker but doesn't seem to update (both dat files
    seem to be
    older), and the 2nd computer runnes a lot slower but updates.
    Any ideas?

Here is a Forum Link that may help..http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=22885
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

paulor Guest

It seems ZA is using a procedure too complex to determine if there are updates.That should be a simple call.
    If there were updates to retrieve,
    then ZA could use all its CPU force it could handle. That makes sense. Retrieve, verify, whatever more, uninstall, install, verify, whatever more, some more loops, and finish.
    I just don't understand the CPU needed for a simple web check for an update.vsmon and ScanningProcess run like there's no tomorrow, both battling for the CPU war, when one goes up the other goes down, and then they switch sides.
    I've run msconfig and there's nothing more than the usual stuff. A lot of MS services, some services related to hardware. Nothing new.

paulor Guest

It seems it was the Windows Defender process that was messing around.The update process
    seems
    faster since I uninstalled it.I'll keep an eye on it just to be sure.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>paulor wrote:
    It seems it was the Windows Defender process that was messing around.The update processseemsfaster since I uninstalled it.I'll keep an eye on it just to be sure.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank You for your Feedback..Please keep us posted on your progress..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information