Thread: Want to prevent a site from accessing my PC

nisko Guest

Default Want to prevent a site from accessing my PC

I want to stop a specific site from having any access to my PC.
    Please tell me how to do this.
    Please be specific as I have trouble understanding ZA.
    I have the latest version.
    Thank you......

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

watcher Guest

Default Re: Want to prevent a site from accessing my PC

Dear Nisko:

Click Firewall panel, then Expert tab. Click Add. In the Add Rule dialog box, enter the following

Rank=1
    Name=Blocked Site
    State=Enabled
    Action=Block
    Track=Alert and Log
    Source-Click Modify button, select Add Location, then click
    IP Address. The Add IP Address dialog box displays. For Description, type Blacklisted, then for IP Address, type the IP address you want to block. Click OK. Note you could also click Host/Site and add the hostname, such as www.yahoo.com, instead of the IP address.
    Destination-Click Modify button, select Add Location, then click My Computer.
    Protocol-Click Modify button, select Add Protocol, then click Add Protocol. In the Add Protocol dialog box that displays, click the down arrow for Protocol, and click TCP & UDP. For Description, type Blacklisted. Leave Destination Port and Source Port as Other/Any. Click OK twice. Don't forget to click Apply in the lower right.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

Another and simplier way and very effective is just block the site in the Zones of the Firewall using the Add button and use the Block in the drop-down in that esxplorer.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

mvlib Guest

I enter a long list of blocked sites by url, click Apply and OK. The list is destroyed when I reboot and has to be reentered.Any help??Running VISTA version.Thanks

I don't use Vista. Just XP.

Maybe there is a bug in the Vista ZA, so contact the Technical Support. It is free by email...

https://www.zonelabs.com/store/conte...ch_support.jsp

The best way to block large lists of IP is by a pure site blocker such as Peer Guardian 2. This really applies to any firewall. They were never designed to be an IP blocker, just firewalls. Unfortunately, the vista version of PG2 is still in alpha.

Many routers support IP block lists and some can use IP white lists. The router is usually the best approach.

The host file can be used for blocking URL's.They must be listed as 127.0.0.1 and then the URL. There are pre-made lists such as the MVPS list...

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

for details see...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

cyberstorm_five Guest

Start by first adding the site to your hosts file to prevent YOU from accessing the site. Next goto the firewall section of you ZA. Under Expert, you want to create a rule. When the Add rule dialog opens Name it whatever you want and place your comments in the box. Action:Block State:Enabled Track:Up to you, LOG suggested... In the source section you want to click the modify button and type the description of the site and its Domain (Eg. Astalavista.box.sk) When you click lookup the appropriate server addresses will be displayed...click OK. under Destination click Modify and choose MY COMPUTER or leave as any. Protocol and Time can remain at any also....upon hitting OK the expert rule will be made and the site will be added to the Blocked list. Cheers...

Thread Information