Thread: Please someone help me,I can not do anything on firefox or internet!

stinman Guest

Default Please someone help me,I can not do anything on firefox or internet!

I tried to upload some acdc videos to my page on stage6.com,divx.It took me for ever to get the programs to convert them. I need some advice on how to tone things down abit.This software is very hard to figure out.I am average PC user. I can follow directions but I do not understand all the abbre.,udp,tcmp,tmp.I have been knocked off line a few times.I have cable internet 10.0,does the dhcp or dns try to ping your address?Today my cable company had to re-issue my ip address again(they do it once a week) and it never happened so I had to unplug my cable modeum and back in to re-new my address.Can anyone help me please?Also does ZAinternet security suite work OK with Media Center Editions,they are a little different than XP Pro,which is what they are.All the media center applications are blocked right now according to what I see on the programs page.I ask because all programs don't work with say hyper threading(I have also)or media center.Do you know if this one does.I guess I should of found out before I bought this at best buy,huh?Please help.Thanks
    Stinman

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Please someone help me,I can not do anything on firefox or internet!

The IP used is being lost - the cable company is at fault. The modem's MAC is being lost by them and not by you.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

stinman Guest

Default Re: cable company at fault...

<blockquote><hr>Oldsod wrote:
    The IP used is being lost - the cable company is at fault. The modem's MAC is being lost by them and not by you.

Oldsod
    <hr></blockquote>
    May I ask what MAC stands for? I can get online in both firefox and IE 7.Maybe I can not figure out how to let the site Stage6.com get through the firewall.How does ZA firewall handle firefox? Insight has always been slow to renew the static address I have.I have been having so many access problems that it is too many to list,I will evently figure out some.Thanks for your help!
    Mark-Stinman

Default Re: cable company at fault...

MAC address is "Media Access Control". It is how the provider sees their own modems, by this unique address. All networked hardware has a unique MAC and there are no duplicates of any address- each and every metworked hardware networking card has it;s own unique addess. Any other MAC address would be seen as alien and not accepted as a paying cutomer. If I hooked up to your provider service, it would not recognize the MAC of my modem as a regular client and it would refuse me a connection to the internet.

If their servers "forgets" the MAC addresses of their clients modems, then the clients will find very little or no internet connections are possible. Next time it happens, call them up and ask to get the MAC fixed- takes about one minute for the rep to do on the phone call.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

ZA handles Firefox fine. Make sure the browser has not just trusted and internet access, but trusted server rights also.

As for the site downloading and lack of proper interaction- it is in the Privacy of the ZA. The Privacy filters web sites content and restricts malicious activity from entering into the PC. Just turn ot off or adjust the Mobile Code or in other words make all green checks besides the site in the listing of the Privacy.

See Guru Don Hoov's site for some deatils:

http://zonealarm.donhoover.net/privacy.html

To customize mobile code control

Select Privacy|Main.
    In the Mobile Code Control area, click Custom.
    The Custom Privacy settings dialog appears.

In the Mobile Code Control area, specify the types of mobile code to block.
    Block JavaScript Blocks JavaScript content, including that required for common uses such as Back and History links, rollover images, and opening and closing browser windows.
    Block scripts (vbscript, etc.) Blocks scripts that execute automatically, including those required for displaying banners, pop-up ads, and dynamic menus.
    Block embedded objects (java, ActiveX) Blocks objects embedded in Web pages, including sound and image files.
    Block mime-type integrated objects Block mime-type integrated objects Blocks objects whose MIME-type indicates that they are applications.
    Note: This option also blocks legitimate executable files sent through the browser, including downloads that you may want to allow. When this occurs, you'll see the error "This object has been blocked" in the browser. For downloads initiated by you, it is safe to disable the Block mime-type integrated objects feature.

Once the Privacy filtering is adjusted for the site or simply disabled, your downloads will work OK.

As for the internet connections in the ZA, the DHCP and DNS server's IP must be added as Trusted in the Zones of the Firewall of the ZA. Make sure you have done something like this:

1. Go to Run type in command , hit 'ok', and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side.
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted.
    3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix it.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

http://zonealarm.donhoover.net/dnsdhcp.html

BTW, some providers frown upon excessive downloading (P2P or downloading over what they rate as to be normal). Some have ways of limiting the customers activities.

Cheers,
    Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 08-16-2007 10:01 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

stinman Guest

Default Re: cable company at fault...thanks for info,but...

I don't use any p2p sites,I was just trying to log in to my page at stage6divx.com,it's sort of like myspace or youtube combined with divx videos and stuff,I have a page there.I could only log in after going to program control/FF and IE 7 and Opera(had to do all 3 the same way)the program/options at bottom of page and uncheck enable privacy filter,that don't seem like that is safe,is it?Now all programs had red x's on server rights,could that of been it? I just got a win32 backdoor trojan,I never had anything like that before.I have new problems,please read in new post.Thanks again!

You should just use the no privacy on the site or just have the privacy adjusted to allow all on the sites that you use and are safe.

Installing strange codec or installing active X or installing software from unknown sites (unsafe sites) and opening email from starngers and opening attachments without scanning them first will usually get the PC infected. Allowing the scripts globally will do the same to infect the PC- this is one of the reasons why the NoScripts extension for the Firefox has become so popular.

As far as server rights go, opened ports are the result- not a good thing. Server rights for the Trusted is OK since this just opens ports to the LAN and not the internet, but allowing server rights for the Internet opens ports directly to the internet (bad!).

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 08-21-2007 09:40 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

stinman Guest

Hello,It,s been awhile.I have learned since this happened.I wish I could learn how to create expert rules.Are you saying to, go to programs and right click firefox(internet,opera,what ever)and click on options,then go to &quot;filter options&quot; , and un-check &quot;enable privacy for this for this program?How do you adjust all on the sites that I use and trust? I don't trust any site all the way,not because of the site but because of people who might take advantage of what the site might open or what ever.Thanks for your input!

Mark
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.337.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.337.000
    Driver version:7.0.337.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:20070904132000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.176.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200709.2375
    AntiSpam version:4.9.1.8211

Thread Information