Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I prevent Zonealarm from "stealing" focus when updating?

cannabit Guest

Default How can I prevent Zonealarm from "stealing" focus when updating?

Whenever ZA SS updates the AV and AS files or searches for a system update, whatever program I am using will automatically "minimize". Whenever this happens I check my ZA icon and sure enough I see the ZA with the updating arrow icon.
    Is there a way to continue to have the ZA SS do automatic updates without stealing the focus from my active program?
    I have a least one program that does not allow minimized mode and whenever ZA SS updates and steals focus, I have to restart that particular program.
    This ZA feature is annoying and it has caused me to disable the automatic updates from time to time and has left me vulnerable to the "false postive" of the win32.backdoor.revell.110 as I believe that I had probably disabled my auto updates to prevent the ZA SS from stealing focus from the program that does not allow minimized conditions.
    I would like to continue to use the ZA auto updates without ZA stealing focus. Is this possible?
    Thanks

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: How can I prevent Zonealarm from "stealing" focus when updating?

Hi!many users reported that version 362 has fixed the stealing focus issue.However, 362 has other more serious problems (slow shutdown andAV issues)Better you wait for the next release that should be released soon (no precise ETA).Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

cannabit Guest

My version appears to be 7.0.337.000.
    I hope the next version fixes the stealing focus issue.
    Thanks for your reply.

ikeyes Guest

I am sad to report that even though this issue has been around for a few months or more, and the release notes state that for release 7.0.362.000 this issue has been addressed:

"Performance enhancements: Better anti-spam performance, fixed occasional hang during AV updates, addressed issues with hourly updates stealing focus from some applications and games."

This issue still has not been fixed... previously this would minimize my application every hour, on the hour. Now it is happening at 1/4 of each hour, and still minimizing my current program!

I have been using ZoneAlarm for many years now, and until version 7 was released have had hardly any issues... none come to mind in fact. Ever since the release of 7 its been problems like this, slow startup & shutdowns... hanging on updates...

What is going on over there fellas? Just yesterday I was NOT going to renew my annual security suite subscription because of these problems, mainly the "stealing focus" bug... I am an avid gamer, and this is simply unacceptable performance to have my screen disappear in the midst of battle! I was happy to see in the release notes that this issue had been resolved, and decided to go ahead with the renewal. Well, I am here to tell you that this issue has definitely not been resolved.

I also DO NOT accept that the only way to fix this is to disable all of my auto-update features... this should be a simple enough issue to correct. I realize that if you want to have the best security you need to be flexible, and honestly I can deal with slower startup & shutdown times if my system is protected. But this is such a small problem, what is taking so long to address this?

FYI - I have just reinstalled Windows XP Pro SP2 on a new HDD prior to installing ZA-SS version 7.0.362.000 so I know there is not a conflict there. Any other suggestions?

Message Edited by ikeyes on 08-28-2007 04:40 PM

commast Guest

You may want to disable the AntiVirus and AntiSpyware update and scanning process. I've had problem with my pc not booting into Windows XP SP2 with 7.0.362, had to go back to 7.0.337 to get it working again. As fas as spyware i've already has SpywareBlaster and Spybot Search&Destroy. Every 2 week i use A-Squared Free and SuperAntispyware to scan my PC. It works better for me. As far as Antivirus, i am using the Free Avira Antivir PE and it works just as good as the one ZASS has and it didn't give me any problems at all. I am still **bleep**ed off that i paid good money for ZASS and not be able to run the antivirus and antispyware without crashing or slowing down my whole system. It's been months since v 362 release and they haven't even got an update yet.

ikeyes Guest

Well I have an even better fix for this issue... a full refund.

Thankfully I can report that the customer service department was very curtious and didn't give me a hard time about the refund at all. I am very sad to have to take this measure, as I have been using ZA-SS for about 4+ years now and would like to continue using it. I will look for future releases to see if they really do fix this issue, but for now I'm gonna give some of the competition a try.

Hi!did you report it to ZA technical support? If not, please do so.I have reported many times. More we are more the issue will get the attention needed.You could also try the latest beta release to see if the issue is resolved.If not, report via the beta feedback form.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

forum_moderator Guest

Default Re: How can I prevent ZoneAlarm from "stealing" focus when updating?

We have a new beta today in which we believe we have a fix for the stealing focus issue.

If you would like to try this new beta it can be found here - www.zonealarm.com/beta

Please let us know if it worked for you or not.

Forum Moderator

cannabit Guest

Thanks for the heads up. I will wait for the official release.

forum_moderator Guest

If you could try the new beta and give feedback if it resolved your focus issue that would help us greatly. You can always uninstall and go back to a version your comfortable with.

If you wait till its released and then it does not help you we then cant go and fix it. But while in beta mode we do have some opportunity to fix it.

Forum Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information