Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP slow

jelavoie Guest

Default Windows XP slow

Hi,
    Since I installed ZA internet security suite, I encounter serious lack of speed when I start Windows XP.
    I didn't have such speed trouble before I get ZA. Is there any solution to this problem ?
    JP

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

adamst Guest

Default Re: Windows XP slow

Hi,

I've got exactly the same problem. When I look through Task Manager I have 2 ScanningProcess.exe and these running vsmon.exe, mantispam.exe, zlclient.exe all related to Zone Alarm. I have the latest version, the latest updates. Windows XP is up to date and I have removed some non essential items from start-up (msconfig) to help speed it up a little.

I just find it really frustrating that I have used it for about 3 years or since version 6.5 with no problems at all, now I get grief... I have recommended this software to a few people who have paid for the full suite and are also experiencing similar problems. I told them Norton Internet Security was a resource hog...

So whats going on? I can understand that it needs to run at higher priority sometimes, but 100% CPU usage?? and the Updater takes the same amount!

I have and AMD 1.3ghz, 1GB RAM, 128 MB NVIDIA graphics card, I sometimes need to overclock it, to 1.7ghz, to make it run a LITTLE better at the cost of cooking my CPU, but that's not covered in the license?!?! damages! hehe...

I'm a computer engineer so don't fear baffling me with science, I just want to find out about the problem.

Thanks

prof_fate Guest

Here is a Forum Link
    that solved the slow bootup for several ZA users..
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=76098

Message Edited by Prof_Fate on 02-17-2008 05:05 PM

findley Guest

Apart from gaining bootup speed what's the wisdom behind turning off spy site blocking? Since this has alerted me to bad sites.

Message Edited by Findley on 08-30-2007 08:29 AM

adamst Guest

If I turn off Spy Site blocking then whats the point in using Zone Alarm Sec Suite? I might as well go back to AVG or **bleep** which NEVER gobbled resources even during a scan!

One way to lose customers. Also no tech support by phone outside America.

I think the best thing we can do to work this out is to find the common item and see if it is causing the problem. Can people post there Process List, ZA version, PC Spec and anything useful?

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum!

I am sorry you are having issues with ZA and I will try to help you find a solution.

In reference to turning off your Spy Blocking Feature, IMO NO. Then your computer will be open to those nasty sites. I have ZA Pro version 7.0.302.000 (not running the current version yet). My only problem is at startup, when I get connected through my cable modem within a minute or two, everything freezes up and then it comes to life again, with no other problems while I am on the internet, just at startup. It's a couple of reasons why this is happening, either I do not have something in the trusted zone properly listed or I need to complete a database reset to bring the firewall back to the original settings, which means I will lose all my customizations in the firewall, such as all the sites I have blocked which I would have to put back into the firewall again. Yes, it is a pain, but if clears up the problem then it is worth it to me, instead of removing ZA and installing it again, which I have done many times in the past with no problems.

Now, my suggestion to you would be to complete a database reset, if you are interested. Remember what I mentioned above about my computer. I will give you the instructions later on in this post, as I would like to add a few more items of interest that you may or may not be interested in. I don't know if you know it or not, but they did release a BETA Version last night and one of the fixes is for Startup and Shutdown issues. So, you may want to check that out also. I may download it on to my other computer that I use for testing software and see how it runs on that, I learned my lesson the hard way by installing a BETA on this computer. Can't blame anyone but myself for that one.

Here are the instructions for a database reset and if you decide to do it, PLEASE let me know how you made out, THANKS.

PLEASE try the following, if you are interested, but remember you will LOSE your CUSTOMIZATIONS. This will bring the firewall back to the original settings.

I think is your Zone Alarm database has gotten corrupt and does not remember your Zones settings. Reset your database and see if that will fix it. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode.
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4. Reboot into the normal mode.

How Do I Boot Into Safe Mode?

http://www.laplink.com/support/kb/article.asp?ID=102

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

adamst Guest

Ok, getting some ideas together. If you reset the database, you lose custom rules, etc and I think its best to do a reinstall, complete remove and delete files/folders then re-install, but I don't want to have to do this every 3-4 months, its not really an option in a business environment.

It may work for a home user, and I might try it.

Thanks.

BTW I like the Sig. about Politness, it's what I think too. Shame it's a rare thing these days...

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi AdamSt,YES, I understand your point about about completing a database reset every once in awhilefor a home user, but not in a business environment. If you do decide to try it, PLEASE post back and let us all know the results, if you don't mind.Happy to hearyou like my signature, YES I also agree with you, it is a VERY RARE thing these days. After spending almost 30 years in the Retail Managment Career Field, the Customers ALWAYS comes first. Either they are right or wrong, it does not matter, you always take care your customers, no matter what. Without customers, you don't have a business, etc.etc.Thank you very much for posting back and have a Great Weekend!SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

adamst Guest

<blockquote><hr>jelavoie wrote:
    Hi,Since I installed ZA internet security suite, I encounter serious lack of speed when I start Windows XP. I didn't have such speed trouble before I get ZA. Is there any solution to this problem ?JP

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>

This is caused by ZA updating the software and definitions. You can turn this off and do it manually, but this is not recommended. It is just another part of the problem which started this thread.

Main problems in ZA, excessive and demanding resource use to update, I can tell by looking in Task Manager and seeing the Update icon (white arrow) in the system tray. Then accessing files and folders, a little slow? Well I checked that and found one of the ScanningProcess.exe in TaskManager using around 30-50% CPU, this I guess is caused by 'on access scanning' but seems to me like it wants to check the whole folder first, good idea for security, but slow.

There are no answers yet, except to turn the mentioned features off and leave a big gap in your security, bad idea. So the answer has to come from the developers.

adamst Guest

Default ** Re: Windows XP slow ** Proof!

Well I haven't tried to reset the config just yet. I am monitoring CPU usage and my activity on the PC. I recently installed Magic ISO and started it up, it took about a minute, yes, Scanning Process was in force I have a screenshot of it but can't post it here or haven't worked it out yet. The first 4 lines from TaskManager - ScanningProcess.exe 58% and 35,196K mem usaage, ScanningProcess.exe 40% 27,708K mem usage, vsmon.exe 02% 35,400K mem usage! That equates to 100, yes one hundred percent CPU usage!! One way to stop a virus, freeze the computer! The other lines Ext2Mgr.exe at 4,040 K Mem use and LaunchApplication.exe at 14,888 K I know these apps so don't worry!

Have a good weekend and be nice to the barmaid!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information