Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I insist: Zone Alarm too aggressive in blocking cookies

pradhan Guest

Default I insist: Zone Alarm too aggressive in blocking cookies

In my last post of 2 months ago, I suggested ZA was too aggressive in blocking cookies, and now I have seen a pattern which confirms my thinking. Virtually every pHp based site that I access requires me to shut down ZA in order to login. These include:

***edit out the e-mail address. Please don't post them as bots do crawl these pages looking for e-mail address's to spam ****

SlyFox

I have all cookies permissions enabled, including web bugs and private header, ie, nothing is blocked, yet I can not log in to these sites unless I shut down ZA.

Any suggestions?

PS: I shut down the pop-up alert and can't find where to turn it back on. That might help me isolate the problem.

Pradhan

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Message Edited by SlyFox on 08-31-2007 12:38 PM

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: I insist: Zone Alarm too aggressive in blocking cookies

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum!

It is likely your Privacy settings causing the problem. The Privacy advisor can help resolve the issue and allow you to customise those sites for your use. You will need to go to the Privacy Panel and click on 'custom' in Cookie Control. Then go to the bottom and enable 'Show Privacy Advisor' click apply then ok.

Next go to the page in question and when the Privacy Advisor alert pops up, click on "Click here for details'' and it should take you to the Site List box where you will see the entry causing the problem. The name of the entry can be found in the "Entry Detail" box at the bottom of the page. Now click on 'options' and turn off the ones that interfer with the page. You may have to try several and then refresh the page until the issue is resolved. Also clean your cache when completed.

If the above does not solve your issue, PLEASE complete the following.

PLEASE try the following, if you are interested, but remember you will LOSE your CUSTOMIZATIONS. This will bring the firewall back to the original settings.

I think is your Zone Alarm database has gotten corrupt and does not remember your Zones settings. Reset your database and see if that will fix it. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode.
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4. Reboot into the normal mode.

How Do I Boot Into Safe Mode?

http://www.laplink.com/support/kb/article.asp?ID=102

PLEASE keep me posted on your results, Thanks.

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

pradhan Guest

Thanks for your reply. Your counsel helped on some of the sites but not all, and interestingly, the culprits are not always related to the site. For example, even when loading the zone alarm forum site, I get a pop-up alert that im254.imageshack.us is attempting to load private headers. For drupal, it was blip.tv

Are these adwares trying to load during the session?

But more importantly, and the reason I originally posted is that the geodesicsolutions site does not elicit a pop-up alert at all. When attempting to login, I get an error message on the page ( I suspect a pHp error)

"SESSION ERROR: Could not remove old cookie. Clear your browser's cookies, and click to try again.Please contact Geodesic Support if the problem persists."

It appears that the site wants to update a cookie. No alert occurs at all from ZA. Yet, if I shut down ZA, all is well. If I got the pop-up, as you suggested, I could trace the issue. I looked at the logs, and could not find any obvious entry.

Any other thoughts?
    Thanks again,
    Pradhan

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi Pradhan,

It is likely your Privacy settings causing the problem. The Privacy advisor can help resolve the issue and allow you to customise those sites for your use. You will need to go to the Privacy Panel and click on 'custom' in Cookie Control. Then go to the bottom and enable 'Show Privacy Advisor' click apply then ok.

Next go to the page in question and when the Privacy Advisor alert pops up, click on "Click here for details'' and it should take you to the Site List box where you will see the entry causing the problem. The name of the entry can be found in the "Entry Detail" box at the bottom of the page. Now click on 'options' and turn off the ones that interfer with the page. You may have to try several and then refresh the page until the issue is resolved. Also clean your cache when completed

PLEASE keep me posted on your results, Thanks.

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

pradhan Guest

Hi Slyfox,

As I said, and forgive me if I was not clear, the critical site does NOT produce a pop-up from the advisor, only the error that I mentioned in the previous reply, so ZA is not recording anything wrong...but it seems to be preventing the resetting of an existing cookie.

If I turn off ZA and use Windows Firewall, no problems, which is sad...

Pradhan

pradhan Guest

Along with my other reply, I would be happy and grateful to send you the sites/passwords if you wish to try to see what is going on. These are demo sites. I would prefer to do that privately, never-the-less.

Pradhan

im254.imageshack.us is not adware. It is a user special private icon in the left side of the individual posts of that user. Allowing local private headers is OK - it is just the referer from the web page at the forum sending the info to the browser regarding the page contents- that includes the user's private icon.

What browser are you using? Any addons or extensions or toolbars being used with that browser? Any web filtering from additional security software (cookie blockers, ad blockers, script blockers, spy site blockers, host files, proxy filtering software, etc)?

Did you clean the browser's cookie cache after resetiing the ZA privacy?
    Are the private headers, all ads, and mime type objects and all of the scripts allowed in the ZA privacy

Have you tried the privacy in the ZA turned off and reboot and then clean the browser's file and cookie caches and then try the sites?

Any java involved in the site you are building? Is the site in plain html with CSS or does it have any javascripts used with it? Does the browser involved have three green bars (super) and both trusted and internet access and server rights for the trusted zone? Right click the browser in the ZA Progrm list and open the Options and check the first two items and apply and OK it. Does the html editor being used have internet access or does it need internet access? Are the DNS and DHCP servers listed as Trusted in the Zones of the ZA Firewall? Does the svchost.exe (generic host process) have trusted and internet access and server rights for the Trusted Zone? Is the local host (127.0.0.1) listed as Trusted in the Zones? Have you added the site's IP you are creating/working on as Trusted in the Zones? Are these sites using any other associated sites that need to be added in the Privacy- filtering the associated sites is the same as filtering the main site? Are the third party cookies being blocked in the browser? All types of cookies are aloowed in the ZA?
    I doubt it is PHP error, since I filter the web to the nth degree and never get any PHP errors.
    Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 09-01-2007 10:54 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

pradhan Guest

Lots of questions. I will explore/answer all over the next day or 2 (I have another job!). For now, I am working without ZA and simply using Windows Firewall until I resolve this issue.

Thanks,
    Pradhan

OK We are always here to get some questions answered or get some suggestions. Cheers, Oldosd
    Best regards.
    oldsod

pradhan Guest

Would you be interested into logging into this site to see if you get the same problem? It would require me sending you pw and username privately. It is only a demo site, but I have to respect the privacy of the company.

Pradhan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information