Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I insist: Zone Alarm too aggressive in blocking cookies

Default Re: I insist: Zone Alarm too aggressive in blocking cookies

Unfortunately there is no PM at this forum. The exchange of publically announced email addesses is not appealing in a public forum.
    Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

pradhan Guest

Well, I am happy to report that after clearing cache and resetting ZA afresh, turning off every other control, I was able to log-in successfully to the sites I need. Thanks for your patience. I would have to guess that the problem may have been too many layers of controls, and perhaps to let ZA work all by itself. Perhaps this is wrong philosophical thinking, so allow me to clear it with you.

I was taught that:
    The firewall works at the entry point to the computer.
    Windows internet controls provides a second tier of protection beneath that.
    Finally, the browser controls then work beneath that. providing a third layer of protection.

But as opposed to being independent layers, it seems that these can conflict with each other, and ZA would prefer to do all the work. Is this correct?

Thanks for all your help. This will be my final post.

Pradhan

What you were taught and practise is absolutely correct. This is very traditional and if correctly followed then the level of security by the user is strong. It still stands up today, anywhere, anyplace and it is a good practise to follow.

The answer to your question is you can set the ZA Pro to do the one level of protection or use it just for the firewall and disable the Privacy. The choice is yours to make. Some use the Privacy just to block ads/banners/popups and leave the rest of the duties up to the browser.
    The Privacy is still there from years ago when many users had difficulty in properly setting up the Internet Explorer for the best security. They had problems blocking the third party cookies or activeX installs or simply did not know how to block ads or popups. The older Internet Explorers did not have the nice features that the IE6 and IE7 have today. Yet even today, some users have difficulty properly setting up the Internet Explorer for good security.

Many today use alternative browser such as Opera, FireFox, Netscape, SeaMonkey, etc because they are easier to configure and have better security features. Besides the fact the users just like the features or browsing speeds. But most then will use these browser individual configurations for the protection and not the firewall filtering of the web protection.

...my rant....

However, some of todays firewalls go the extra step and not just filter the incoming web sites but protect the home page and usual search engine and control activeX installs and access to the host file. Just as the ZA does. Because so many user never learned things they were supposed to originally learn and instead rely on pruchased software to help. Or they never learned the "safe hex". Instead these users rely on the software to do the simple things for them, instead of thinking or learning the basics.
    [This very same logic applies to spyware scanner and antispy resident guards. If the user is experienced, knowledgeable and has learned things, then spyware installations can be completely avoided and the real need for any spy scanners is very negligible or minimal.]

In addition to the traditional entry point internet filtering or packet filtering done by firewalls, most modern firewalls will further complicate thing by exacting application/component control and intrusion protection. On top of that is added the added OS control, dll process injection control, memory guards and services & registry protection.
    Oh, I forgot the email control/filtering.

Firewalls of today do not resemble firewalls from five years ago. Things have changed a lot in the firewall design and implimentation to provide security and safety. The dangers have increased and the competition to provide the best firewall is very strong ( in both freeware and payware).

JMO (just to give some contrast to the situation)
    I do not use the ZA Pro, I just use the ZA AS. I have the browser to filter the web with the proper configurations (plus extra .js and .css files and site blocking within the browsers). In addition, I use some additional filtering- using special custom files for Privoxy and WebWasher. But then again, I really value my privacy on the internet. I try to avoid the unrequired trackers, counters, ads, cookies, banners, webbugs and distribution of my personal information among networks as much as possible. This works alone out to be three layers of protection, besides the OS/network connection settings and a firewall and also some web scanning by the antivirus and last but not least, a dedicated IP blocker (over 3 billion IP are blocked). Plus I use two hardware firewalls for inbound protection (router and dedicated bridging firewall).
    So I have a total of nine layers of protection from the internet. But this is not the usual or normal or a commonly seen set up. I still practise safe procedures on the PC, regardless of the layers of protection.
    Cheers, Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 09-03-2007 08:31 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

pradhan Guest

Ultimately I think it all comes down to marketshare. I was much more immersed in the computer world years ago during the desktop publishing revolution. I worked for Corel before CorelDRAW was introduced and then became probably the very first CorelDRAW trainer in the U.S. Draw is now in Version X3 (cooler than 13). I recently trained a law firm (working on Win 95!) using Corel 5. (By the way, Law firms are notorious for having incredible artwork on their walls, but not upgrading their PC's. Hope you're not a lawyer). It was so simple and clean. Now Version X3 is congested with every conceivable feature/function including spreadsheet capability. Every program tries to do everything, and based on your rant, this is certainly true of browsers, firewalls, and OS's...which then causes more conflicts.

Sometimes simpler is better, in fact, in life, I opt for simplicity at every turn. ZA Pro does more and now that I have turned every other layer off, it seems to work fine letting me into sites, etc, as you prescribed. I will slowly turn on the other layers (Firefox...etc). Somewhere, the overlapping functionality caused the glitch I was experiencing.

Thanks for all your help.

Pradhan

LOL I Am Not A Lawyer. All kinds of jokes are acceptable.

Yes it is unfortunate, many of the favorite software has become "bloatware", all done in hopes of staying competitive and as you say gaining more marketshare.

I can see something as mime or some variation of scripts being blocked in the Privacy cauing trouble. Even the blocked private heaers (commonly called referer) could be at fault. Gifs and animated images use variations of scripts and so do some of the blocked ads and banners. Blocking webbugs will block some variation of scripts.
    The site(s) must be added to the Privacy and in the right click, select the Custom, and remove all blocking. Then clean the browser cache (to remove the old files and get it ready to accpet new and extra files). It should work.
    Another trick is set the Alerts to High for the site blocking of the Privacy. When the site is opened, the ZA will have a popup with the blocked content. This helps to see what still needs to be allowed to make the site work.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information