Thread: ZA slows down directory access

zadjt Guest

Default ZA slows down directory access

Comparing a test PC, when booted in normal mode (i.e. not Safe mode), I see a halving of the directory access speed with ZA installed compared to ZA not installed. For example, accessing the C\: Program Files\ directory tree takes about 0.270s without ZA installed, but 0.661s with ZA installed and active. This seems to be similar with both a late ZA 6.5 and with the current ZA 7.0.362.000.

I don't recall seeing this problem until a few weeks ago. Has anyone else seen anything similar? It surprises me that this problem occurs with local hard-disk access, as well as with network access.

Any switches or registry settings to tweak which might affect this? I don't see why the free ZA with no anti-virus should even be touching local disk access!

Thanks,
    David

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: ZA slows down directory access

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>ZADJT wrote:
    Comparing a test PC, when booted in normal mode (i.e. not Safe mode), I see a halving of the directory access speed with ZA installed compared to ZA not installed. For example, accessing the C\: Program Files\ directory tree takes about 0.270s without ZA installed, but 0.661s with ZA installed and active. This seems to be similar with both a late ZA 6.5 and with the current ZA 7.0.362.000.

I don't recall seeing this problem until a few weeks ago. Has anyone else seen anything similar? It surprises me that this problem occurs with local hard-disk access, as well as with network access.

Any switches or registry settings to tweak which might affect this? I don't see why the free ZA with no anti-virus should even be touching local disk access!

Thanks,
    David

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Here is a Clue..By Upgrading to the ZA Free 7.0.362.000, several variables have been added to the Mix..1.) ZAFree 6.5x was lean and mean with just the Basic Free Firewall and the install program was Only about 13 to 15 Megs in size..2.) ZAFree 7.0.362.000 Install Size was about 38 Megs in sizes (Notice the increased Size) That is due to the ZA Free ver. 7x now included all the Install Modules of the Full ZA Security Suite, in an attempt to get more FREE Users to Try the Paid Version.3.) Even if you choose to use Only the Free Bare Firewall, some of the other Security Suit Files get installed, even if not used..and will Use Resources as well as Conflict with other 3rd Party Security software.4.) all versions of ZA 7.0.362.000 have Several Known problems that Slowdown the Computer and Slowdown AV/AS Scans as well as Slow Startup and Shutdown problems..5.) All of those problems are being fixed in the next Paid version of ZA Security Suite..6.) it may be better for you to Uninstall ZA Free 7.0 and re-Install ZA Free 6.57.) Here is the ZA Link on how to do a Clean uninstal http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=103Here is a Download Site for ZA Free 6.5http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

zadjt Guest

Thanks for your comments, GeorgeV. I had indeed noticed the increased size of ZA 7.0, and I still have my copy of ZA 6.5.737.000, so I can try reverting to that on my test PC using the instructions you kindly provided. However, when the slowness started it was not after updating ZA. Indeed, upgrading from ZA 6.5 to 7.0 was part of my attempt to resolve the problem. My suspicion is that it was a routine Windows update which caused the problem, but that it is the interaction of the update with, perhaps, ZA, which has made the problem visible.

David

zadjt Guest

4.) all versions of ZA 7.0.362.000 have Several Known problems that Slowdown the Computer and Slowdown AV/AS Scans as well as Slow Startup and Shutdown problems..

5.) All of those problems are being fixed in the next Paid version of ZA Security Suite..

GeorgeV,

I tried replacing the ZA 7.0 with ZA 6.5.737.000 on my test PC, and the speed has returned to the same as the &quot;Safe mode&quot; measurements. I did then find that with the wireless network enabled, the speed on local directory scans was not as consistent as without the network.

I hope the fixes eventually make it through to the free version as well. I wish I had known about the problems earlier - it would have saved me (and you) some time!

Thanks,
    David

zadjt Guest

Continued progress report. I have been unable to install ZA 6.5.737.000, even trying a complete remove of V7.0 using the instructions you pointed to. Whilst V6.5 would appear to install (once I had overcome the ZPY.dll problem by deleting \system32\ZoneLabs\), and the system would reboot OK in safe mode, in normal mode once the &quot;Loading user settings&quot; message appeared, there was an access violation message, and the system did not boot further. I have auto-login enabled. V7.0 installs and runs OK.

So it looks like I am stuck with the lower speed until ZA sees it timely to fix the problems in V7.0

Thanks,
    David

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>ZADJT wrote:
    4.) all versions of ZA 7.0.362.000 have Several Known problems that Slowdown the Computer and Slowdown AV/AS Scans as well as Slow Startup and Shutdown problems..

5.) All of those problems are being fixed in the next Paid version of ZA Security Suite..

GeorgeV,

I tried replacing the ZA 7.0 with ZA 6.5.737.000 on my test PC, and the speed has returned to the same as the "Safe mode" measurements. I did then find that with the wireless network enabled, the speed on local directory scans was not as consistent as without the network.

I hope the fixes eventually make it through to the free version as well. I wish I had known about the problems earlier - it would have saved me (and you) some time!

Thanks,
    David
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank You for your Feedback on ZAFree..there is a wire range in signal strength between different Brands of Wireless Routers and the Receiving antenna..I'll give youmy example: I'm on Time Warner RoadRunner Cable Modem with 6174 kbps download speed, I have Three Computers connected to a LinkSys Broadband wireless-G Router1.) WinXP Pro Hardwired, and 2.) WirelessWinXP Home SP2 on a HP Pavilion Intel Pentium IV 3 Mhz with 2 GB ram, 3.) Wireless Win Vista on an HP Pavilion Intel Duo-Core 2 (2.66 MHz) 4 GB 800 MHz RamBoth of the Wireless Computers are sitting next to each other 150 feet from the router.. Computer 2.) has a 6 foot Linksys USB-2 Wireless Antenna and averages 2 to 3 Bars 24.0 to 36.0 MbpsComputer 3.) Vista has a Wireless-G Lan card with a 6 foot external Antenna connected to the antenna Spot on the LAN card and it's signal Strenth is Rock Solid at 5 Bars 54.0 MbpsGo Figure..---------------------------------------
    My Configuration:

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.1.078.000
    TrueVector version:7.1.078.000
    Driver version:7.1.078.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:20070802035000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.162.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200708.2275
    AntiSpam version:5.0.0.8843
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support