Thread: ZA client hangs when working with program control page

jmarks Guest

Default ZA client hangs when working with program control page

I'm running ZA pro 7.0.337 under fully updated/patched XP. The hang only occurs when working with the program control page, and can last
    5-10 minutes, or several hours on reboot (!). The gui does eventually respond, however.
    I've done a clean reinstall without affecting the behavior.
    I have about 65 individual apps listed in my start menu, but there must be over 500 on the program control page. Most of which are update.exe files, and other utilities.
    Could the number of apps be causing this behavior?
    Why are all these apps listed? What are the consequences of removing all the setup.exe and similar apps?

if it's not the number of apps listed, any ideas of what's causing this?
    thanks for any ideas people may have!

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: ZA client hangs when working with program control page

Hi!is clean install an option? This way you will start from a clean program control and fresh settings.First of all you should check your system for malware with a good scanner, for example, the online scan at kaspersky site:http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscannerTry to remove ZAPRO following the instruction below (keep note of your license):http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...n_install.html(please note the /clean and /rmlicense switch that you need to use as well as the folders you need to delete reported at the end of the above document)Run a registry/system cleaner. ccleaner is quite good utility (http://www.ccleaner.com/download/downloadpage.aspx?f=3) Re-download the installer (better the 337 version, users have reported issue with version 362) from here (and do NOT use any download managers):http://www.ZoneAlarm.com/zapdownload/ Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jmarks Guest

I have done a clean install without a change in behavior. I don't think it's the database.

Hi!And now that you have few programs in the list does it work correctly?If not, did it ever work correctly?if yes,what did you changed since then? Fax

jmarks Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:
    Hi!
    And now that you have few programs in the list does it work correctly?
    If not, did it ever work correctly?
    if yes, what did you changed since then?

Fax

<hr></blockquote>
    I'm sorry, I haven't been clear:
    I have been using ZA pro for years and years. It has always worked correctly. This hanging behavior of the program control page started when I upgraded my Microsfoft Office installation to include Outlook.

Since then, I have done a clean ZA install without a change in the hanging behavior.

I have not removed programs from the program control page, so I don't know whether too many programs in the list is the problem.

I haven't removed any programs because I don't know what the consequences of removing programs would be. do you know?

Do you know how the program list is populated to begin with?

thanks!

Hi!not sure I understand fully. If you already did a clean install, you should not see hundreds of entries into the ZA program list but maxium 60-80-100A clean uninstall is indeed to wipe out your configuration but avoiding the simple reset of ZA databases that removes alsopre-configured setting at install.High number of entries in ZA program control do not necessarily cause delays, for sure not 5 minutes or total hanging.Cheers,Fax

cwallen Guest

I am also experiencing this problem, exactly as you have described it.
    I also use version 7.0.337.000.
    OS version is XP Pro.
    I'm pretty sure that this is the last version of ZoneAlarm that I'll ever buy.
    I regressed from the current version to 337 because it slowed my machine boot and shutdown speeds.
    now this **bleep**.
    I don't routinely access the ZA control, but when I do, I don't want to do it 5 or 10 minutes later.
    also, reinstalling ZA is a lame solution, even if it is the only one that works.
    lame, lame, lame.
    if I have to uninstall ZA again, it's staying off forever.

jmarks Guest

<blockquote><hr>cwallen wrote:
    I am also experiencing this problem, exactly as you have described it.I also use version 7.0.337.000.OS version is XP Pro.I'm pretty sure that this is the last version of ZoneAlarm that I'll ever buy. I regressed from the current version to 337 because it slowed my machine boot and shutdown speeds.now this **bleep**. I don't routinely access the ZA control, but when I do, I don't want to do it 5 or 10 minutes later.also, reinstalling ZA is a lame solution, even if it is the only one that works. lame, lame, lame. if I have to uninstall ZA again, it's staying off forever.
    <hr></blockquote>

Thanks for letting me know I'm not completely crazy with this issue. I have managed to fix this problem, and I'll tell you how. However, I do have to say first, that, despite the buggy upgrades, ZA pro has kept my systems absolutely clean for the past 5 years. I never use the latest upgrade but wait until all the early adopters have gotten all the bugs out. So I'm sticking with it.

Anyway, if you can stand to do another clean install, here is what I did:
    1. do a clean uninstall - /clean /rmlicense and then boot into safe mode and delete the internet logs.
    2. install the product. at the prompts, do NOT let ZA scan your system. that's how it fills up the program property page with all the zips, exes and patches that are causing all the problems.

I've learned to set up all my firewall settings first, and then back them up as &quot;firewall only.xml&quot;. that way, I can restore the most important settings without fear of a corrupted xml file.

you should find only about 25 entries in the program control page. AFter that, programs will get entered there as you run them for the first time.

I hope this helps.

cwallen Guest

Your solution seems to be the guru solution for most
    everything.
    I'm glad it works for you.
    I remember, years ago, when I had a problem with the first version of MSN.
    The MS technician told me I had to reinstall Windows to fix it.
    Imagine my consternation. ** bleep ** doesn't cover it.
    I'll think about it.
    Otherwise, I may just wait and see if it goes away.

Thread Information