Thread: Unable to download windows update

gvn Guest

Default Unable to download windows update

It says: "This file does not have a file associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel".

Also it mentions ActiveX on the windows update page....

Will adjusting the ActiveX take care of that "This file does have a file associated" problem?Thank you...

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

watcher Guest

Default Re: Unable to download windows update

Dear gvn:

Windows Update uses ActiveX objects to run. Please check the Privacy panel, Main tab, and click the Custom button for Mobile Code Control. In the Custom Privacy Settings dialog box, make sure the 3rd checkbox, Block embedded objects(jave, ActiveX) is UNchecked. This may resolve the problem.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

gvn Guest

I unchecked the third check, still did not update. Should any of those boxes be checked?
    Thanks

watcher Guest

Dear gvn:

Check IE settings then. Make sure the hostname for the Windows Update site is in the Trusted zone. In IE, click Tools, Internet Options, and then the Security tab. Click Trusted Sites, then the Sites button. Make sure the following are listed there:

*.update.microsoft.com
    http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    http://*.windowsupdate.com

Click Add after each and then OK. Move the Security level for this zone to Low. Click OK. This is how mine is set and Windows Update works fine.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

P.S. In the Custom Privacy Settings dialog box, Mobile Code tab, you can have all of them checked for the most restrictive configuration. However, you'll have problems with many websites which use javascript, Java and ActiveX applets, and you won't be able to download files with the last one checkmarked. I would recommend only checking the 2nd one to block scripts(vbscript). I've had no problems with it checked.

Message Edited by WATCHER on 09-11-2007 11:55 PM

Thread Information