Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: school software won't work with ZAP

mikezonealarm Guest

Default school software won't work with ZAP

Hi,
    I have some school reading and math programs that just will not function with ZAP running.
    The manufacturer states that their software does not at any time access the internet, and that sometimes a firewall can keep the programs from running.
    They also say which parts of the programs cause the interference, and I do see them become active in ZAP when I run the software (the green dots appear).

To hopefully "open things up", I gave both of them the 3 green bars, and green checkmarks for everything, but that didn't work.
    When ZAP is shut down, the programs work fine, when ZAP is running, even with all permissions opened up, the programs fail to run past a certain screen.
    Is there somewhere else in ZAP I can go to allow these to run?
    Do I really
    have to shut down ZAP to run them (and leave my internet connection by cable modem unguarded)?
    Thank you,Mike

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

watcher Guest

Default Re: school software won't work with ZAP

Dear mikezonealarm:

Please check the Privacy panel, Main tab, and click the Custom button for the Mobile Code Control. Uncheck all 4 checkboxes here and click OK. If this works, start checking the first 3 one by one, to see which one was causing this. Leave the last one unchecked. That one will block downloads if you have it checked.

Please post your results.

WATCHER

mikezonealarm Guest

Thanks, but mobile code control is off, so none of those boxes were checked when I went there.
    I appreciate the help, though.
    Mike

watcher Guest

Dear mikezonealarm:

Can you tell me what the manufacturer said were the parts that would cause problems with the firewall? I thought this might have been a scriping issue but you stated ZAPRO was not blocking scripts. I've used simulator programs for school but ZAPRO never blocked any of them. They had login screens for authentication and didn't require Internet access either. Can you elaborate on what exactly happens when you try to run these programs?

Thanks,

WATCHER

mikezonealarm Guest

Sure, thanks for the help and I will try my best to help you help me!

When I click Play in the game,
    I get a "session timeout error" and a screen that says I need to login.
    For the FAQ's on that they say:
    <blockquote>

"Why this happens: The software was programmed using a
    web browser called Mozilla that runs locally. This provides the user interface (UI) for the software. When a firewall sees that a web browser is starting, it may stop the session or assume that it is connecting to the Internet. If you stop it, the software will not open.
    Note: Our software NEVER, EVER accesses the Internet. It is perfectly safe to enable it in your firewall settings.&quot;
    </blockquote>

They then say (which I've done):<blockquote>

Go to your Security Control or Settings information in your firewall program.

Look for the Launch Anywhere GUI.

Allow it to run.

Try the software again. You may need to restart the computer.</blockquote>

... and this does not work.
    When I click Play on the game, I can see this GUI listing come active in ZAP, and I set everything about it to full green access.

That's what happens.
    Does that give you enough inof?

Mike?

prof_fate Guest

I don't know if this will help, but Both ZAP and ZASS have a &quot;GAME MODE"Right Click on the ZA Tray Icon, Click Game Mode, the Click &quot;Answer all Alerts with Allow&quot;
    Please Post Back if this works..

watcher Guest

Dear mikezonealarm:

Are you using the Mozilla browser and does it have green access across the columns in the Programs tab?

WATCHER

mikezonealarm Guest

Well, I use AOL v 9.0 Security Edition, and I am not sure if that is Mozilla.
    I do see a mozilla listing become active when the school software kicks in, but sometimes the game tries to fire up AOL and sometimes it doesn't.
    Mike

mikezonealarm Guest

OK, I will if I try that, but I think since the game claims to have no need to access the internet, and is only opening a &quot;mozilla borwser&quot; (if I understand what they are saying correctly), then I shouldn't have to allow all alerts (just not sure)
    - am I intepreting your post correctly?
    Is there a &quot;danger&quot; to doing that?
    Thanks again,Mike

prof_fate Guest

<blockquote><hr>mikezonealarm wrote:
    OK, I will if I try that, but I think since the game claims to have no need to access the internet, and is only opening a &quot;mozilla borwser&quot; (if I understand what they are saying correctly), then I shouldn't have to allow all alerts (just not sure)
    - am I intepreting your post correctly?
    Is there a &quot;danger&quot; to doing that?
    Thanks again,Mike
    <hr></blockquote>I don't know anything about that game..But it has been my experience that some Games do include Backdoor Internet Access..And I would be leary of any Program that says it is Safe and Never Access the Internet, and Then activates a Browser who's main perpose is to Access the Internet..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information