Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ZA Suite seems to crash explorer in Vista

ajmch Guest

Default Re: ZA Suite seems to crash explorer in Vista

Hi GeorgeV,
    Thanks. I ordered the machine explicitely without any security tool, as I had been using ZA for years on several machines and intended to keep it that way. I don't see any trace of such software (nothing in the program utility, no folder in C/Programs", apart from "Zone Labs&quot. Could it be that they are copied as an image with Vista and that they remove them if the customer happens not to want them? Hardly I think. But the info is great! Thanks!

ajmch Guest

Default Complete reinstall

I had not other problem since the last I mentioned here.
    I uninstalled **bleep** (which I had installed in the meantime), I desactivated
    all options of Windows Defender and rebooted.I installed ZA and rebooted.I uninstalled ZA using the
    /clean /rmlicense.I deleted the folders Zone Labs (Program Files) and ZoneLabs (Win32), emptied the trash and rebooted.I reinstalled ZA (Download and Install), accepting all proposed options (including scan). I updated the definitions, adapted the schedule,
    and ZA ist presently performing a complete scan.
    The problem is not there (yet). The machine runs smoothly, just as usual. Boot time is significantly longer, but I never shut the
    machine down, so I don't really care. The scan in the background is not affecting the responsivness.
    I noticed that the installer demands a file "vsdatant.sys". I performed a search and didn't find it, so I clicked cancel and the installation resumed (both times) as if it was no issue.
    I noticed too that Explorer requires much less memory (down from over 50 MB to some 30 MB), but I haven't checked that at each step so I don't know where it comes from. Possibly having deactivated Windows Defender?

That's it for now. I'll give a follow-up.

ajmch Guest

Default Re: Complete reinstall

Just a thought. Adobe has a dedicated download manager which is using some weird way to store data files for installations or updates, in some sort of "virtual" repertory. I remember that the thing did not function (could not load the downloaded installer in memory) and I searched in vain for the file. Eventually, I had to search for the address online and download it the normal way for using it. Could such a file on a ghost repertory bring ZA down?

ajmch Guest

Morning 1 and 2: :-( the computer was a morrass in the morning. I had to reboot it manually. After day 2,
    I replaced ZA (clean uninstall) with a mere antivirus (with real-time control).Morning 3: :-)Afternoon :-( morrass built up progressively but as solid as the other times. I stopped the real-time AV.Since then: :-) No problem. The machine has been running round the clock smoothly, with a virus-scan in the night.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>ajmch wrote:
    Morning 1 and 2: :-( the computer was a morrass in the morning. I had to reboot it manually. After day 2,I replaced ZA (clean uninstall) with a mere antivirus (with real-time control).Morning 3: :-)Afternoon :-( morrass built up progressively but as solid as the other times. I stopped the real-time AV.Since then: :-) No problem. The machine has been running round the clock smoothly, with a virus-scan in the night.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>ZASS For Vista has some simular Theft of Focus AV Scan problems exibited by ZASS XP 7.0.362.000Hopefully ZASS for Vista will be fixed in the Next Beta Cycle..? No ETA on when that will happen..---------------------------------------
    My Configuration:

ZoneAlarm Security Suite Vista version:7.1.078.000
    TrueVector version:7.1.078.000
    Driver version:7.1.078.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:20070907155000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.162.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200709.2465
    AntiSpam version:5.0.0.8843--------------------------ZoneAlarm Security Suite XP Beta version:7.0.415.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.415.000
    Driver version:7.0.415.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:20070920115000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.176.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200709.2465
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays