Thread: Confused with ZA free build custom settings for "Internet" and "Trusted" zones

Hybrid View

dandla Guest

Default Confused with ZA free build custom settings for "Internet" and "Trusted" zones

Aloha All,
    I've been having problems with a wired network of 2 computers both using xp/sp-2 and za.
    Computer A sees and has access to resources on Computer B. Computer B sees Computer A but does not have resource access.
    Part of my problem is trying to get the correct settings for the internet and trusted zones on the "custom" settings button within "firewall"
    I've read the help screen for these settings only to be come more confused.
    Would someone please simplify the settings with a response to this question; Is the specific setting blocked or enabled with a check mark??? Is this true for both "internet" and "trusted" zones???
    My ultimate goal is to have incoming NetBIOS UN-blocked when in a "Medium" setting in the "Internet" zone.
    Please help.
    dandla

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Confused with ZA free build custom settings for Internet and Trusted zones

Hi

The ZA Free does not officially suport ICS or file sharing on the LAN.

But it often works. I assume you behind a router and all unwanted inbound connections are dropped? In which case the Internet Zone slider can be safely reduced from High to Medium, but often the Trusted Zone slider has to be reduced from High to Medium.
    These are the usual setting to allow this to work with the ZA Free

The other point, the IP of each of the PCs must be added as Trusted in the Zones of the Firewall of the ZA. So should the DNS and the DHCP servers. The localhost (127.0.0.1) in each PC should be present and listed as Trusted in the Zones. The generic host process (svchost.exe) should have not just trusted and internet zone access, but server rights for the trusted zone.

There is no real advanced networking features in the ZA free. Just the paid versions of the ZA. Some of the other available freeware softwaare firewalls have better networking features.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 09-15-2007 01:10 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

dandla Guest

Default Re: Confused with ZA free build custom settings for Internet and Trusted zones

Oldsod,
    Thank you so much for your reply...it helped tremendously for me to see these and know what the proper settings are and I changed them as you suggested. However, it didn't fix my problem. This computers resources still remain un-accessible to the other computer.
    I have a question...Is there an anti-worm component that I can change the setting of, or some way to check on smb's other than what you've already given me???
    Thank again,
    dandla

Default Re: Confused with ZA free build custom settings for Internet and Trusted zones

There is no antiworm component in the ZA free firewall, but some of the other security on your PC could have some form of firewalling that could be blocking what you need. Perhaps a needed service is disabled and that is the problem?

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

dandla Guest

Oldsod,
    Your up late...
    Thanks for such a speedy reply...
    I'll look into the needed service thats disabled.
    dandla

dandla Guest

Default Re: Confused with ZA free build custom settings

Oldsod,
    Aloha again...it occurs to me that I didn't get an answer that I understood with regards to the question of use of the "advanced firewall settings". Are they enabled when checked or disabled when checked???
    Thanks again for your time.
    dandla

Hi dandla

The ZA free has limited netwroking features, where as the paid has advanced networking features. The paid versions have allowances to open the netBIOS ports or any custom ports as per the two Zones (trusted and or internet).

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

dandla Guest

Oldsod,
    I'm getting the distinct feeling that a purchase of the premium edition of the firewall is necessary.
    dandla

Opening ports in the ZA for the LAN or home network is simple- just check the server rights for the Trusted Zone. There is the Open Block Ports method for the ZA pro and of course the Expert Rules in the ZA Pro. But many users of the ZA Pro never use either one of these and just use the checks for the servers of the Trusted Zones. Usually the Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) is involved with netBIOS, so it should have the server rights for the trusted zone and lowering the sliders for the Trusted security Zone shoudl help.

But as I said, there are lots of other freeware software firewalls that have the direct control of ports and IP and the applications. The ZA Pro will have additional networking features that you are interested in.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 09-20-2007 01:54 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information