Thread: Internet Explorer and Loopback

webdaddy Guest

Default Internet Explorer and Loopback

Can some kind soul briefly explain to me what 'Loopback' is, in the context of a firewall such as ZA?
    In Program Control, I have the two Access categories for Internet Explorer (iexplorer.exe) allowed, but for the two Server categories I have their entries questioned and blocked. So, I think I'm configuring Internet Explorer properly. However, when I look in Alerts & Logs, I see that, on occasions, iexplorer.exe makes what appears to be an arbitrary attempt on a port of 127.0.0.1. It's referred to by ZA as 'Loopback'. Is this some sort of internal function confined to within the PC, or is it possibly a connection made to the router? My router is, as you'd imagine, in the Trusted zone. Obviously, the attempt is permitted.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:6.1
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Internet Explorer and Loopback

Hi!loopback adapter is your PC, the corresponding address of your PC is 127.0.0.1 (127.0.01 is an internal address, no way reachable from outside)It is also commonly called "localhost".You should have "loopback adapter" set as TRUSTEDIt is normal that IE and many other software connects to your PC (IP: 127.0.0.1)Also 0.0.0.0 is your PC.For more info, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LocalhostHope this helps.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 09-16-2007 04:55 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

webdaddy Guest

Many thanks for clarifying that.
    It's a bit of a strange concept, isn't it - a process on a PC, trying to communicate with the PC? One would think that the two would be regarded already as part-and-parcel of the same entity.
    The port nos. that the loopback
    uses on different occasions, for different processes, is up in the 1000 region, so does that indicate that IPv6 is in use, rather than IPv4?
    When a loopback occurs, is that always as a result of the user interacting with the particular process, or are the loopbacks part of some constant background testing?

Hi!find the answers in between your post...Cheers,Fax
    <BLOCKQUOTE><HR>webdaddy wrote:
    Many thanks for clarifying that.It's a bit of a strange concept, isn't it - a process on a PC, trying to communicate with the PC? One would think that the two would be regarded already as part-and-parcel of the same entity.Yep, but it is perfectly normalThe port nos. that the loopbackuses on different occasions, for different processes, is up in the 1000 region, so does that indicate that IPv6 is in use, rather than IPv4?No, still IPv4When a loopback occurs, is that always as a result of the user interacting with the particular process, or are the loopbacks part of some constant background testing?</BLOCKQUOTE><BLOCKQUOTE>Most of the time is due to "constant background testing" other time may be due to user interaction
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

webdaddy Guest

Many thanks for your responses.
    It seems it's all fairly standard stuff going on.

You're welcome!Fax

Thread Information