Thread: ZA on a small network: how to allow 1 PC

gilbertolacchia Guest

Default ZA on a small network: how to allow 1 PC

Hi All!

In my office I have a small network with 2 PC: both have ZA 7.0

The 2 PC are connected on a network switch, with IP 198.162.0.1 / 198.162.0.2 and I put them in the TRUSTED zone. With this configuration the network works smoothly.

However, if I connect the network switch with the Internet hub, both PCs share the Internet connection and their IP changes according to the variable IP acquired by the net.

In this second case the new network is identified by ZA as INTERNET zone and I have problems running network software on both PCs. Since they are connected to the Internet I do not want to assign them to the TRUSTED zone: is it possible to tell ZA to regard both PCs as TRUSTED and only those particular PCs while they are on an INTERNET

Thank you very much,

Gilberto

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: ZA on a small network: how to allow 1 PC

Hi!not a network expert at all but you may want to try to add the name of the PC into the trusted zone instead of the IP.This way trusting will not be depending on the IP but on the name...So go to the firewall tab --> Zone --> Add hosts/site and type the name of the PC you find in My computer --> Properties --> computer name tab --> copy/paste the "full computer name"...Try this while in the your LAN... to make the IP resolving easier than try to switch to direct internet connection. You may need to restart ZA (don't know)Hope this helps...FaxP.S. Thinking back this is unlikely to work if the PCs are not connected toyour local network..... but if they are ZA should be able to resolve their new IP.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

gilbertolacchia Guest

Hi Fax!

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

I tried to add the computer name instead of an IP address. When the 2 PCs are connected directly (198.162.0.x) Zonealarm find both computers but does not add the name to the list because they are already identified by their IP.

On the contrary, when both PCs are connected to the Internet with a variable IP, with the Windows "Find computer" function I can find the second computer on the LAN, whereas Zonealarm does not add the host to the TRUSTED zone because it cannot find them.

I am driven crazy!!

Any other idea?

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Gilberto

Hi!probably I was not clear enough... you should remove the 192.168... of the PC and put only the names.On the second issue, if the PC are connected directly to the internet and no in your LAN there is no way of allowing them via ZA unless you know the IP... at least as far as I know.Or you need to setup a VCN for them to connect....Hope someone else have a better idea.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information