Thread: Loss of Internet access after (but query because of) updating ZoneAlarm

lesliek Guest

Default Loss of Internet access after (but query because of) updating ZoneAlarm

I'm using the free ZoneAlarm with Windows XP (the latter with all updates).

For a very long time, I've been using the same version of ZoneAlarm, but when I booted up recently, I was told to update and I did. (I'm sorry, I don't know the version numbers involved.)

Since updating and rebooting, I've lost connection to the Internet. I'm assuming it has something to do with the update, since I'm not aware of making any other changes.

In my system tray, I see an icon I haven't seen before. When I hover my mouse cursor over it, it says something like "acquiring network address". Perhaps by double-clicking on that icon (I'm sorry I can't remember, because I've been a bit thrown by this), I found that my network address was said to be 0.0.0.0. I know that it's supposed to be 10.0.0.1.

If this is indeed a ZoneAlarm problem, I'd be very grateful to be told how to fix it.

Thanks for reading this.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Loss of Internet access after (but query because of) updating ZoneAlarm

Are you using a wireless connection?
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

lesliek Guest

Default Re: Loss of Internet access after (but query because of) updating ZoneAlarm

No, I'm not. I connect to my modem via Ethernet and to my ISP via ADSL.

If you reboot your computer, does your connection come back? How about if you turn off ZA?

lesliek Guest

When I first posted about my problem yesterday evening (Australian time), I had tried re-booting my computer a number of times, but it hadn't made any difference. At the same time, though, I hadn't done anything to my modem.

When I gave up last night, I turned off both my computer and my modem.

This morning, when I turned both of them on, everything worked properly again.

To my amateurish eye, it now seems that, at the outset, I should have re-booted my modem as well as my computer. It also seems that my problem's solved.

I apologise for troubling you and thank you very much for trying to help me.

No problem. Something was learned, and others may be able to use the same fix, so no time was wasted. So it was time well spent.

Thread Information